Ultimate Subaru Message Board

impreza heater motor not coming on

Got a friend with a 98 impreza

She said months ago her blower motor stopped...them came back on...been fine ever since

Now it quit again

She says she checked fuse but I wil check and swap it as a first step

Then see if there is 12v at motor....if not, I'll test the motor with 12v

If no power to motor, I guess it could be the switch....not sure how best to check that

Any thoughts?

Does a 97 legacy use the same heating switch? I have a one as a parts car....

Dunno if it's common with these or not, but my old Lincoln Mark VIII had an issue that was inherent to the model. The blower motor would do the same thing, sometimes it'd work, sometimes it'd go awhile not working. The actual power plug that connected the motor, wasn't tight. Easy fix was to unplug it, then carefully bend the 2 prongs outward a bit then reconnect. The plug and prongs looked just like standard AC plugs. So if you've ever bent a power cord plug, you should get a visual. The prongs weren't making 100% contact with the tabs.

It's a quick check to verify. Set blower to be "on", then find the connector for the blower and wiggle it. If it starts cutting in/out, you found the issue. If it makes no difference, disconnect the power plug and probe it for 12v. If car is running, it'll be closer to 14v. If it has power, then the motor is suspect. If there is no power, then the issue is further up. 

I tend to think the motor may be at fault also. Power to the motor passes through the fuse and the relay and then to the motor. The switch and speed resistors are on the return side of the circuit. If you don't have power getting to the blower when it should be running check the relay and the socket wires to it.

• 2 years later...

The blower motor brushes eventually wear out causing these symptoms of intermittent failure. Sometimes just removing and cleaning out the motor helps if something is physically interfering with the fan. Here is what a dirty motor looks like when you remove the base plate, and what the worn brushes look like.post-50719-0-98206900-1513261100_thumb.jpgpost-50719-0-05775700-1513261117_thumb.jpg