Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Part needed - EA82 right hand timing belt cover

Hi,

When we took this engine apart we discovered the right side inner timing cover is fragged. I may be able to fashion something to make a repair but I'd rather get one if they can be found. I've looked online on eBay and such and at the local wrecking yard with no success so I'm asking here if anyone has something like this. Thanks!

I disagree about not needing them: they are there to protect both the belts and idlers/tensioners from getting damaged, primarily by road debris. 

Unfortunately, Subaru discontinued them ages ago.  We still rebuild that engine and we have an awful time getting them.

Good luck!

• Like 1

i'm about to throw some EA82 timing covers away, if i have that one i'll ship you the entire set for $35

or come pick them up for free.

If he doesn't take them, and they're in good shape, I will!  Lemme know.

Emily

I would like to have them, thanks. I understand what people are saying about not having them but with me living in MT the road sludge and gravel... I'd just feel better.

Let me know if I can PM you with an address if you have them. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

If he doesn't take them, and they're in good shape, I will!  Lemme know.

Emily

He is taking the passengers side inner and outer cover.

I still have a couple others, inner/outer drivers side and one more outer - passengers side maybe? 

You want whatever I have?  $25 for whatever I can dig up.

Cursory glance last night and all the other covers looked good - with the exception of one ear (the part that holds the metal threaded insert) had a crack in it but was still intact with the metal insert. 

I'll get pictures if you're interested.

I stopped using the front covers years ago. Had the same worries, but a few members back then had run them without with no trouble. I have had no trouble. I'm not certain of this - but it seems like I have had less trouble with the idler bearings, since they get airflow and could be running cooler.

He is taking the passengers side inner and outer cover.

I still have a couple others, inner/outer drivers side and one more outer - passengers side maybe? 

You want whatever I have?  $25 for whatever I can dig up.

Cursory glance last night and all the other covers looked good - with the exception of one ear (the part that holds the metal threaded insert) had a crack in it but was still intact with the metal insert. 

I'll get pictures if you're interested.

PM sent

I like to keep the rear and centre covers.  The centre cover will keep most crap from getting into the works and comes off quite easily. This is mostly a pragmatic thing, as I have yet to get one of the side covers off in one piece.  If I could, I would keep them on.  I have not had any problems with stuff getting in the belts.

However, I have yet to get the stated mileage out of a set of timing belts without the covers.   So far, I have had 3 strip or break on me, at 40,000 miles or so.  They are supposed to be changed at 55,000, so they shouldn't die that quickly.  Maybe stuff is getting in, and is long gone by the time I look at it?

The covers can still be obtained ex Japan if required brand new, Disco got some when he was rebuilding Ellie, And I seem to remember that engine is still in his garage so those covers are only a couple of years old and about 60,000 miles use