Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all. 

Long time no post (like 4 years I think) not really going to give an update but may in a later post.

I am on the hunt for the Aussie hi/lo trans to stick in my 05 Turbo Baja. I remember that we did a group buy a few years back, I have searched for them on the web and within here, but have not come up with anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Mugs. 

Try Japanese auto wrecker sites, all JDM Outbacks and Foresters and some early Imprezas/Legacies had the dual-range in Japan too. Pre-98 models have a 4-bolt bellhousing and some had a cable clutch setup but just leave 4 bolts out and you're fine.

Some early 1.8 Imprezas had a 1.59 dual-range ratio with a 3.9 diff ratio. All JDM Foresters will have a 1.447:1 reduction with 4.11 diffs, Outback/Legacy are 1.19:1 reduction with 4.11 diffs. I'd go the Outback box and put a L-series 1.59 in it (some custom work required) or a 1.447 in it (direct swap) as the first and second gears are physically wider on the Outback gearbox (the 1.447 Forester box would probbaly blow 1st or 2nd behind a turbo engine)...

If you're importing an Aussie box, the first-gen (SF) 2.0L Foresters had 1.447 and 4.11, the second-gen (SG) 2.5L Foresters had 1.19 and 4.11, and all Outbacks/Legacies had 1.19 & 4.11.

I think your Baja would have a 4.44 diff ratio from the factory so either way you'll need to swap that? Or go 4.44 in the front diff too for more low.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the detailed information, but I am trying to find our how to locate one, and get it sent to the states. I remember there was an outfit that sold them a few years back, also a company that will do the conversion kit

for the USDM ones here. 

Almost all the LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Specs Subarus, has Dual Range, from the impreza to the XV, but is easier to buy the entire vehicle than to find one on a local Junk Yard... If you want to see photos of LADM specs Subarus, click ~► Here.

Yes, there's a company in USA offering conversion kits to make Dual Range certain EJ transmissions:

~► http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Gearbox-5MT-Dual-range-conversion-kit-USA-only-Legacy-Impreza-Forester-/271274224042/

Also, there is (or was?) a Dual Range 5MT for sale in USA, here @ USMB:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/144426-ej-dual-range-trans-for-sale/

Kind Regards.