Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 98 2.5, that has the EGR. But I have a JDM EJ20 turbo to put in the car, which does not have an EGR. The emissions place only checks the sticker under the hood, so if I were to order a new sticker, based on the VIN from a non-EGR 98, they wouldn't care then, and I'd still pass the roller test.

I don't believe that you can order a new sticker.  They are usually specific to the vin number of the vehicle and can't be changed. 

A lot of people are having problems with cars and trucks swapping in different engines that require older EPA regulations but they need to meet the EPA regulations that were for their vehicle and not the older engine.

The vin is not on the sticker, and you can order them based on vin from the dealer. So my plan works, as long as I find a vehicle.

And yes, federal regulations require the newer of the engine or vehicle emissions requirements. So it's not really a problem, it's the law. But as long as I can meet the numbers on the rollers, actual equipment, to me, is irrelevant.

Also, using the 25d manifold won't work, because the injector size is not large enough for the turbo.

Edited by Speedwagon

Can't you just swap in new injectors?

Why not just turbo the 2.5L instead? Just sell the 2.0L short block and keep the turbo. Hell, just get turbo exhaust manifolds and run whatever turbo you want. You just need to add an oil return line fitting on the oil pan, an oil feed line, highly advisable oil cooler, and finally a coolant line to feed the turbo then return to the engine. Find an aftermarket FMIC and stuff it behind the bumper or whatever and get a blow-off valve from a factory turbo'd car like VW, Saab, etc.. Spend a few bucks on a custom ECM that's tunable and make a bracket to support the turbo and you are golden.