Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 97' Impreza has flashed a CEL.  I pulled the code and came up with P0463.  I know this is usually indicative of a bad fuel sending unit but understand that there are two units on my model.  Any idea which one may be the culprit, passenger or driver side?

thanks-

OK.  Wiring looks good.  Old and crusty for sure but no cracks etc.

I located a good step by step testing sheet that walks through the process.  I can post if it would be helpful, although I'm not sure how to post a PDF here.

Anyway, driver side unit tested fine, passenger was the problem. no continuity.  Has anyone been so bold as to just replace the sending unit as opposed to the entire fuel pump assembly?  it can be purchased separately at the dealer. 

thanks

Can't be that hard to do if they sell it separately.

Fuel pumps in these don't go bad very often, but aftermarket pumps should be avoided. I would replace the sender with the dealer part long before replacing the whole assembly with an aftermarket.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to installing the new sending unit.  Pretty easy, had to solder a few leads at the bottom of the assembly.  As soon as I installed it gauge jumped up to 3/4 which is about right comparing to my trip odometer and CEL went out immediately.

Part was a little more money than a used assembly but seemed like the better route.