Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Impreza blend door actuator

Does anyone have experience with the heat/ac blend door? I have a 1996 Impreza and the hot/cold blend knob on the dash does not work. If I want to switch between hot and cold I have to reach down into the passenger footwell and flip the door myself. I can't tell if it's cable driven, works on vacuum, or if there is a relay or fuse somewhere. I've searched and can't find any good information.

PROVIN1327,

You've done 50% of the job already. If you can reach down and flip the door, then that function works. Get under the dash and look for what actually moves the door. I suspect its cable or vacuum. Either way its easy enough to trace back to the HVAC switches.

Either the cable has come loose at one of its two ends, needs refastening, or the cable needs replacing because its broken.

If its vacuum operated the same applies. The tube has come off one end or the other or has split and is leaking vacuum and needs replacing.

Pull the center dash trim around the vents and radio/HVAC. Undo the two/four screws holding the HVAC console, pull the entire unit out 6 inches or so, far enough to check the rear of the blend switch. Then you'll have your answer and will know how to fix everything. The blend switch itself may need replacing.

Hit a wrecking yard to get what you need. Good Luck!

Yep it's cable driven. A small plastic piece had broken off of the hot cold blend knob leaving the cable unattached at the knob end. Im not too worried about it for now but I will have to get a new unit at the junk yard

Edited by provin1327