Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need more advice on tranny swap needed

well being i cant keep both of my subies, i was wanting to put the d/r 5spd out of my 85 into my 87 ea82t 5spd. i know the trans will bolt up, and about the consol and plate, but my question is, is which axles to use. it appears the turbo axles are bigger, but i dont think they will line up onto the d/r tranny out of the 85(ea82). can you mix axle parts, like put the inner cup onto the inner bearing housing of the turbo axle?

basically i have a whole complete running 85 to steal parts from in order to do this. it just needs a little more work than i can do with my budget, and i dont want to loose my d/r capabilities. thanks-iluvdrt

so the rears will be ok then? also, will those axles fit into the turbo spindles?

someone really needs to do a writeup on this. im sure it has been beat into the ground. so here is what i will need:

trans

rear diff

shifters

console

front axles

cross member

is that it.? i cannot mix axle parts for the front? will the d/r axles hold up to the turbo ok?

please help me out here guys.

http://www.warpthree.com/milesfox/subaru/service/glossary.html

there is the link to the Glossary of Terms on my website, this will cover the axle splne counts and which trannies

a dual range will bolt right in place of the pushbutton 5spd. the tranny mounts, clutch/flywheel, and driveshaft al fit the same

you will need to swap the axles from the 85 to go with the dual range

ALL 5spd non turbo trannies are 235 splines. all TURBOP and FULLTIME 5 spds are 25 spline. all 3spd autos, including turbo, are 23 spline. all full time 4spd autos are 25 splines. all ea81 are 23 splines

all rear axles for any ea model are 23 splines

the 85 front struts are height adjustable, if you want to swap those, swap the strut/knuckle/brake/axle as one unit. this will save you from having to pop the axles out of theit bearings.

do it like this:

pop the axle pins out. pop the ball joint and tie rods. undo the rubber brake line from the body end. disconnect the parking brake cable. unbolt the 3 nuts on the strut cap. swap away

keep in mind you will have to swap the 3.9 rear diff over with the dual range.

you said the gl-10 turbo wagon is an 89, it may have an lsd as standard option, but it will be a 3.7

the shifter4 console plate is the only thing interiorwise that needs swapped. the console itself will accept any console palte. the hole for the shifter will be thge same alsi.

the only issue you will have is the wiring for the 4wd display and reverse lights, but you can either splice the wires or go the simple route and make a toggle for the reverse lights(fog lights in the rear!)

thanks a million miles, i was hopeing you, or someone who doesnt mind explaining things would help me out. i will try this in the next few weeks if all goes well.

your link didnt work for me. so i will need this explained please.

i do have to swap the hubs out because of the spline count, or no?

does only the tranny side of the shaft have a diffrent spline count, or the entire axle?

also, insted of using the n/a axles, can i take the tranny prtion of the n/a axle and put it on the tranny side of the turbo axle. will it fit over the bearings?

my suby is a 87. the donor car is an 85. i know i will have to change the rear out, because mine is a 3/7, non limited slip.

http://www.warpthree.com/milesfox/subaru/service/glossary.htm

try this again...or go to my website and look under subaru service in the top frame...

the turbo and 4wd axles are the same diameter, so yu should be able to swap the doj and the bearing race for your 25 splined

i myself have put a 25 spline turbo doj on a 2wd axle, it had exfessive play, but it worked. not recommended as a mod, but it will work as a fix.

but i think the 25 spline doj will fit on the 4wd axle, try ity out and let me know. i have always wanted to put a 23 spline turbo doj on a legact axle to use a dual range with 5lugs

i will try it. i think it would work. i will let you know if it does.

so i dont have to change the hubs out on the turbo, only if i want the adjustable struts right? taking into consideration i have to use the d/r axles

i have seen the 23 spline turbo axle, it has 3 bands and comes with 3AT turbo. its fatter around like the xt.

so does this meen that turbo 25 spline doj and xt6 doj are the same also?

i asked about 23 spline doj from turbo axles on legacy axles before, but no one knew. is it a secret?