Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sheet of Plywood hits my soob on the freeway

Minding my own business driving down the freeway yesterday my car encountered a sheet of plywood. It flew out of the back of a ford ranger, lifted up into the air, and decided to crash on top of my car. Shattered glass all over me, dented my hood, roof, bent the pillar, ripped off my trim and yakima roof rack. Not a very nice experience. The bastard never stopped and it was kinda hard to get his license number when your covered with glass. $1200 worth of damage to my 91 Loyale. I'm not even sure it's worth fixing. What a bummer. And boy am I pissed! :mad:

IMAG0001_Small.jpg

:banghead: :banghead:That sucks.. I would hunt that mother****er down..

Did you at least report a hit and run?

I see a chunk embedded in the passenger side glass.. right around head level..thankfully its not on the drivers side.

Glad you weren't hurt

oh noooooo:banghead: ... you gotta wonder why crap like that just happens to happen the way it does... sorry man that sounds rough. I hope that guy really needed that peice of wood and had to drive back and get another. And since he was drivin a big stupid truck i hope it cost $1200 in gas. So much for wishful thinking...

You were lucky. A lady recently had something similar happen to her here in Washington state. She was badly injured but managed to survive; she'll never be the same (in addition she was blinded). I would report this to the police as a hit and run (which it was) and to my insurance company (if you have comprehensive) as an uninsured driver accident. If the police are sufficiently motivated, they'll find the driver. Good luck with it.

Yeah dude, definately call the cops, and give as accurate of a description of the vehicle as possible, they'll find the bonehead eventually... I had something similar happen to me, back in the last snowstorm a hunk of ice flew off the top of some guys VW Eurovan camper thingie and smacked my windsheild. Luckily it didnt break teh glass, but it broke the trim around the window. He was going the other way and I couldnt whip around to go hunt him down (But you bet your tailfeathers I would have if he had broke the glass!)

Glad you weren't seriously hurt. That is maddening and you know he had to have seen that plywood take off! With a load like that NOT tied down he should have never been on the freeway at all. I hope the police are able to track him down for your car's sake.

Linda

Dang Jeremy, I am glad to see you're all right. I guess that's why I saw the soob parked in your backyard when I came home. I couldn't tell that it was crunched though. I hate these Reno drivers, a lot of them shouldn't be driving. I see stupid people driving all the time here.

Really glad you didn't get (physically) hurt! A woman here in S.W. Idaho was killed by a piece of lumber flying off a truck just a couple of weeks ago.....

Good luck finding that s.o.b...I can't believe he didn't notice his load flying off his truck?

Cheers,

Chris

Yes I was quite lucky. I took a few hours for me to finally realize I could have been killed. Kinda freaked me out. No comp on my insurance so no money to fix it. $1200 was from an auto body shop, but I'm gonna check out a few more places today. I filed a police report the same day, but I'm not sure what good thats gonna do. All I had was a description of the truck, nothing else. :banghead: And yes I never realized how crazy Reno drivers are until I moved up here.. ick!

Just thank your lucky stars it wasnt something bigger. I have a story for ya.

I was driving to BWI to pick up my fiance from the airport. This was when I had my Honda civic.

So, I'm cruising along in the middle lane on the freeway in Bethesda, when I see this truck tire SKIP the center divider, and start bouncing towards me ! I was doing 65-70, that thing was closing fast.

It looked BIG, and it was bouncing. My life flashed before my eyes. I had NO time to shift my foot from the gas to the brake pedal. The only thing I could do was try to estimate when it was going to bounce and try to avoid it.

I swerved left and it BARELY clipped my front right corner of my car. The engine kept going, it bounced off and God knows what happened behind me. I didn't even look. Destroyed my headlight, bent the fender, etc. That car was never the same afterwards. Anyway, I filed a police report, nothing ever came of it.

Insurance didnt do jack about it, all I had was liability. Anyway, to this day if somebody bitches about being pulled over by a cop because of loose stuff in the back of a truck, I just laugh at them and give them an earful. A $2 buck strap can save somebody's life.

Just be blad you are ok.

I heard about someone that was cruising down the freeway in their truck, and slammed into an industrial air conditioning unit that had fallen off of the back of a semi and was sitting in the middle of the freeway (it was at night) They ended up tracking it down, because well, those things are hard to miss lol and someone had reported it missing. Good luck finding the MoFo..

• 2 months later...

well something like this happaned to me ,but i was in the semi and some how through a good size rock from the rear most trailer tires and hit a chev -s-10 , and i did not not know i did it ,until the guy waved me down , but in your case improper load [ not tied down] in my case it is called a road hazard

That really sucks man.I work at a sawmill/lumberyard and it is amazing how stupid some people really are.I have had customers in Ford Rangers come in to buy 2x6x16' boards with no tie downs or ratchet straps and sak me "do you think that will ride not being tied down".How can someone not grasp that if you have a 6' bed and you want to haul 16' boards the 10' sticking out of the truck will not stay in.I hope you find that ignorant SOB.He could have killed you because he was to cheap or stupid to buy a $2.00 ratchet strap.

Do some investigative work. Was is a new sheet of plywood? Is there a Home Depot, Lowes or lumber yard nearby? Most big commercial stores have closed circuit television of the loading areas to prevent theft. Go to the closest stores and ask to have someone review the tapes for that day to see if they can spot the truck. I installed these cameras and some of the higher end ones are very good at zooming in so maybe you can get a tag. Take the police report to lend credability to your story. Most loss prevention or asset protection managers are bored with their job and are looking for something to do.

If it was trash plywood then it get's a little harder.

Good to hear your OK. Had the same thing happen with a 10 foot john boat.

Scary. Big adrenalin rush. Ended up in the median going around 70 in my RS, came out sideways, when the car caught the pavement, went passed the boat backwards looking at oncoming cars. Made me re-think the breathing thing. Life in fragile.

Jay

In most states your insurance automatically has you pay for uninsured motorist coverage. Try to file under that type and the deductable is much lower. In Va it's 100.00 IIRC.

A $2 buck strap can save somebody's life. Just be blad you are ok.

Agreed! So it costs someone $2 for the strap and maybe 2 min of there time to tie something down. It could save someone’s life. But these days everyone seems to be cheap bastards that are in a big hurry these days.

gravelRX good idea with the lumber yards, but there are just way to many in Reno. 3 home depots, 2 lows and countless smaller places. And it's been over 2 months since the happening.

Bullet proof glass seems like a good idea to me. Wonder how much that would cost me? Hehe

In VA, the deductible for uninsured motorist, whether it is a bodily injury, or, property damage claim is $200.00 and that is ONLY if they cannot identify the other driver.

I know, been doing insurance is this wonderful state for over 15 years..

anyways.. don't take any crap!!!. File the claim, and if they mess with you, just tell them the next call is to the commissioner of insurance, the attorney generals office, or any other related governmental oversight.

Uninsured motorists is a tricky coverage. Because it would be your insurance company paying for it, they could try to find a way to weasel out of it.. they don't want their profits affected, and look for the loopholes that were purposedly built into alot of the policy forms, thanks to the recent federal government administration.

anyways.. good luck!!!!.. you should be able to claim for it.. take pictures, get the hard copy of the police report, and keep us posted to where it goes!!

Mike