Ultimate Subaru Message Board

.....so who here has used it and did it work? Our budget is so tight but we really really need to get our 06 baja to run with out giving us the same P0303 code and every mechanic I talk to says compression test but not sure we can afford that at the second and we need to figure out something affordable now.... suggestions for a fix on this???

does the CEL flash or is it on steady and you get that code? If steady, you 'could' drive the car - not advisable, but folks do what they must do.

FLASHING CEL means active/regular misfiring and expensive parts could be destroyed.

I have doubts that rislone would help with the various problems that could create low compression in a single cylinder.

how much is that stuff and what does it claim to do?

are you near RetroRoo ? you should take your car there.

http://retroroo.com/

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

the CEL is steady. We live clear out in B.F.E. and mechanics around here are flipping ridiculous when it comes to pricing. One mechanic told me to run 44k through the fuel system??? Maybe?? The Rislone stuff is supposed to be a fixer-upper that coats, and re seals basically

Edited by LadySpartan425`

there are a few, very few, additive products that seem to help with certain problems - but I have never read of either of those products suggested for use and i read a LOT on 3 Forums.

i guess the main question is, will it hurt anything and just waste your money?

seems to me, the car has not been properly diagnosed.

what city are you near? maybe someone can recommend a mechanic to take another look.

If you need your car to be reliable, you must spend some money on it occasionally - that's life. ALL of us car owners do that.

$300 now could save you $3000-OR MORE,  if you delay 3-6 months.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Back to basics..........what seems to be the problem with the car?? Please describe the trouble. How many miles on the car?? Why is a compression test recommended??

My experience with Rislone is that the product is a detergent, and helps to clean out grime build up in the oil and fuel systems. Nothing more then just that. Rislone will not coat anything, or re-seal anything.

Done more research. I found Restore would be a better route if it comes to that.

Miles: 113040

Problem: Po303 code.

so far... spark plugs replaced. Coil and injector replaced on cyl3

chasing a ghost here. Funds are tight. Trying to fix the issue with minimal spending but running out of ideas.

No oil in the boot. Slightly more build up and crud on cyl3 plug than the other three...

With slightly more build up and crud on cyl 3 plug, this could be an indicator that the spark plug wire(s) are bad to create the mis-fire on cyl 3. How old are the plug wires on the car?? I realize that your funds are tight, but suggest if you buy good plug wires, then buy a set costing $40+. Cheapie house brand wires from an auto store have a reputation of  working poorly in a Subaru.

If need be, buy used plug wires from a wrecking yard. Start by changing only the cylinder 3 plug wire first to see if that fixes the problem.

Edited by Rooster2

Well, crap: I just lost the really long reply I had typed.  Grrrr

Rislone is an ATF-like oil treatment.  It won't help.

BG Formula 44K is a fuel treatment which would only help a dirty injector.  A bad injector o-ring would be more likely but you already replaced that.

A 303 code is a misfire on cylinder 3.  It has nothing to do with compression.  It's mainly electronic.  The EJ25 turbo engines are overloaded with electronic stuff.  It could be the cam phaser, it could be a misfiring injector.  BUT, until you get it properly diagnosed, you are just making WAGs. (Wild rump roast guesses ;)

I don't know about Shawn at RetroRoo, but we don't charge to check out or diagnose, because we aren't a repair shop, and because Rick doesn't believe in it.  Here's our website: http://www.ccrengines.com .

We would just need advance notice of a day or 2, midday or early mornings are best.

Emily

• Like 1

some similar problems happened in my Subaru. by no means is my running at 100%, but here is what I did. after replacing plugs and wires.

check your vacuum lines, i found some that were pretty bad. this was the main thing that helped me out. new air filter and spray clean MAF with special mass air flow sensor cleaner, other stuff can ruin it. also pop off you IAC and soak it in throttle body or carb cleaner. this helped my car out a lot. i also cleaned out my EGR valve.

hope this helps. ive been very low on funds also and this was the cheapest way I could think of to get my car running

my car is 95 EJ22 so its a little different from yours.

Edited by subakev