Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i'm having a hard time getting my 93 impreza to start runs like a champ once it cranks but it doesn't crank for spoob i have to roll start it of spray some starter fluid in it almost every time. i have replaced the plugs there wires the coil pack the fuel filter all the fuell lines the air filter the mass air flow sensor the vsv head gaskets the timming belt the valves fuel pump and screen changed all the fluids new radiator new clutch kit new starter new battery . cleaned the exahust and egr and olny run 93 grade fuel and still having issues wtf any sugjestions cuz i've taken my engine apart so many times i now know what bolt goes where and what size with my eyes closed and i still can't figure it out and not that it has anything to due with ignition but new wheel hub assembly and new strut

Edited by mann1988

what is it doing?

cranking but not firing?

when did it start ?

how did it start?

what else was done just before it started?

how long have you had it?

did it run well before this ,
or has it always done this.?

more info is better.

first guess,

bad timing.

did you use the arrows?

or the hash marks for timing?

it cranks but its very sluggish in doing so usually take several trys and roll start or starter spray its been doing it since before i bought it but it recently got much worse i've had it 3 or 4 years now and i doubt its timing becuse i messed it up the first time and bent a valve thats why i changed them and after some research i found that the manual i got online was wrong bout the timing marks ergo my problem and after a few hours of research i found that you have to count the teeth on the belt its like 44 on the right side and 45 on the left i think its been a while now after reading some other fourms im going to check the jets to see if there clean and try changing my coil agian as the one i replaced with came from the junk yard

Edited by mann1988

If the starter motor is working real slow you need to check the power getting to it. I assume the battery connections are very clean but if not use a wire brush to clean them up. When cranking the engine you should have at least 11 volts at the battery and no less than 10 volts at the starter solenoid.

do what cougar said first.

it is easy and cheap.

but here's the other thing to think about.

the ej18 is non-interference ,

it is not physically possible for a piston to bump into a valve and bend it.

couple this with ''i doubt its timing because i messed it up the first time'' ,

i would check the timing next.

use the hash marks,

NOT the ARROWS.

but battery first.

Edited by johnceggleston

well  after chaning coil pack the starting got much better but there is still some underling issue it seams like its not getting fuel 1 out of every 5 cranks or so deffinatly not the battery or connection as they are both brand new i still want to check the injectors this weekend when i have the time and if not i'll check timming agian thanx for the help guys i'll post back in a few days with my results but if anyone has other ideas please feel free to post them

• 2 weeks later...

ok well starting issue seamed to be a stack of things ie bad coil/ cloged injector and lines cuz it starts great now but after changing the fuel injectors it seams i over tourqued them and broke the o rings does anyone know what the correct tourque is for the fuel injectors

Edited by mann1988