Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lift question(s) pertaining to steering shaft...

Been searching the forums and Google for days now.

Vehicle: 1984 Subaru Brat (No Power Steering)

I am planning on doing a 2" Lift to get 27" tires under without/minimal cutting. 

It seems most people are cutting and welding in an extension tube for the steering shaft (Giggity) when doing a lift. I have also found a couple of posts about people using different parts for a non-weld version... this is what I am interested in but cannot find any great information on it. Probably just buried in all the other lift posts.

So question(s) is/are...

- What parts are people using to extend the steering shaft when doing the non-weld version?

- Do you really need to extend on a 2" lift?

- Plan on getting the lift from SJRLift; not sure if that matters vs. the other ones.

I would gladly accept a link to another thread where this is discussed.

Should end up closely sitting like this.... http://scorpionsubaru.com/photos/Picture_0033.jpg

Thanks,

Jacob

Edited by thornleyjacob

I have heard that a 2" lift does not require an extended knuckle. The previous post on extending 1 inch with an ea82 is pretty close

I got around 2-3 inches by using a 96 Outback knuckle on my 3 inch lift.Must be an Outback  not legacy. 

Good luck. 

Mine is an EA82, and I don't recall if the EA81 / Brat has same spline count + size,

but just in case, let me share a Link here, where I have detailed info & photos,

Regarding an unwelded part from another Subaru that is a Direct fit,

and is already longer... please follow this link:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122276-the-bumble-beast/?p=1093093

Kind Regards.

To clarify: on the 2" EA82 lifts I make SJR I send 1" engine crossmember lift blocks which would require the stock knuckle to be lengthened, on the EA81 2" lift it gets a 2" engine crossmember block , that's what your Brat would get

So no adjustment to the steering shaft then, correct?

Edited by thornleyjacob

Scott was saying that yes you need to fully drop the crossmember that holds the engine on an EA81 car.  ea 82s can get a way with a bit but not your style.

you will have to extend I would say.  I used a center tube of a bushing from some toyota parts my roomate had.  just it fit fairly snug in the holes of the ujoints, then I welded it up.  doesnt turn fast obviously, so get it pretty straight and your golden.

I dont know if SJR makes them, but Im sure he can weld one up for you, if not I will do it if you send me the parts.

Scott was saying that yes you need to fully drop the crossmember that holds the engine on an EA81 car.  ea 82s can get a way with a bit but not your style.

you will have to extend I would say.  I used a center tube of a bushing from some toyota parts my roomate had.  just it fit fairly snug in the holes of the ujoints, then I welded it up.  doesnt turn fast obviously, so get it pretty straight and your golden.

I dont know if SJR makes them, but Im sure he can weld one up for you, if not I will do it if you send me the parts.

Will keep you in mind then; thank you for the offer. Probably won't be buying the lift until September.

- Jacob

• 1 year later...

Bump from the dead. Was wondering if the question about the 2 inch lift kit for an ea81 needs to have the steering shaft extended and if a different factory steering shaft would work on an ea81. Seems the links showed an ea82

Do you have a picture of a cut and welded ea81 steering shaft? Or what goes into modifying the shaft? Or is it really as simple as cutting the shaft in half and getting another length to weld in the middle? I was already planning on ordering the sjr 2 inch lift. Just need to know what else goes into installing and making sure everything works

Edited by Urabus25

its that simple, cut in half add shaft or sleave with tuning and weldup

Ok awesome. Fabrication and metal work is out of my realm a bit. Could I just go get a scrap metal 1inch shaft the same diameter and call it good? Or do I need a certain grade of metal like how bolts are measured?

But I'd probably have to find someone to do it for me or if I can buy a shaft already extended from someone because I don't have the equipment to do it myself.