Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check engine light addresses pollution control issues with the engine. As others said, pull the codes. Car parts stores like Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts will pull the codes at no charge for you with your car parked in front of their store. The code read out will tell you what needs to be repaired.

Issues with the A/C, cruise control, and dome light, you will need to have each repair diagnosed separately.  I hope you knew about all these problems before purchasing the car. 

Oh BS! A check engine light has codes for all kinds of things including things that can affect the cruise and ac. The dome light is probably just a burnt out bulb.

The AC problem though is possibly no freon which some parts store can check.

Edited by lstevens76
  • Like 1

yeah, well, I found it but - might not work in an Impreza ?;

06-09: How To Read Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs)

How to Read Diagnostic Trouble Codes on 2005 thru 2009 Subaru Legacy and Outback

The 2005 thru 2009 model year Legacy and Outback can display Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) directly on the dashboard. No scan tool is needed. No jumper wires are required, and it is not necessary to count blinky lights. The codes are displayed in plain text on the instrument cluster.

Trouble codes from the ECM (Engine Control Module), TCM (Transmission Control Module) and ABSCM/VDCCM (ABS or VDC Control Module) are displayed.

This procedure was distilled from the FSM. The English translation in the FSM is not very good, so I have attempted to make it easier to follow. The FSM has this procedure in the Body Section, Instrument/Driver Information, Comination Meter System chapter.

Some notes before starting:

- I believe this procedure will work for all 2005 to 2009 Legacys and Outbacks. However, I have only tested the procedure on my car, a 2007 Outback 2.5i automatic.

- I don't know of a way to reset the codes without a scan tool. Disconnecting the battery may or may not work.

- Exactly what you will see depends on what type of display your car has. There are two images of tables below, one for the Normal display and one for the Multi-Information Display that is found on Turbo models.

The Procedure

Starting condition: key off, headlight switch off.

Steps 1 through 7 must be performed within 10 seconds.

1. Turn key to ON position. This is the normal running position, the click just before starting, when all the lights on the dash come on, but before you twist to START. Don't start the engine!

2. Within 3 seconds, turn the headlight switch ON.

3. Press the Trip/Odometer button 4 times.

4. Turn the headlight switch OFF.

5. Press the Trip/Odometer button 4 times.

6. Turn headlight swtich ON.

7. Press Trip/Odometer button 4 times. At this point, the DTC display will begin.

8. Turn headlight switch OFF. Not necessary for the procedure, but your display may be dimmed and hard to read in bright sunlight. Besides, why drain the battery?

The DTCs for each module will display in order: ECM, TCM, ABSCM/VDCCM. Press the Trip/Odometer button to cycle between modules. The FSM states that the display will cycle between modules automatically every three seconds if the button is not pushed, but that did not happen in my car - I had to push the button to cycle the display.

For each module, there are three display states:

- Receiving DTC from module (blinking "P" or "C")

- DTC detected & displayed ("P" or "C" followed by 4 digits)

- No DTC found ("P" or "C" followed by "----")

If there is a CAN (Controller Area Network) bus communication error, you will see only "----" in the display. Basically, that means that the network in your car is broken. That will need to be repaired before anything else can be done.

See the table below that applies to your car, depending on which type of display you have.

Notes

- TCM error codes will not be displayed for cars with manual transmissions. The TCM display state will remain in "Receiving DTC" (blinking "P" on display). In my case, my car is an automatic, but the blinking "P" remained, possibly because I have no codes set.

- To cancel the DTC display, turn the key to OFF.

- If the engine is started, the DTC display will remain until the car starts to move. (I did not test this)

- Past DTCs that have been repaired will be displayed until the engine is started 3 times. (I did not test this)

from; http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/19053-06-09-how-read-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs.html Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

just got a 2006 impreza and things don't work. the ac,cruise control,ceiling light my check engine light came on i didn't get an owners manual for it either help.i was told there was a recall on it also how do i check it out?

AC: Needs a coolant refill, probably has a leak in the system

Cruise control: could be fuse, speed sensor on any wheel or directly related to the transmission

Ceiling light: burnt out bulb. (duh)

Check engine light: pull codes as others have said.

Check with dealer for recall.

1) Get an owner's manual!  They are available from the dealer.  Might find one one eBay too. 

One of my husband's favorite comments: "Ya gotta be smarter than what you're working on".  I think I may add it to my sig. :rolleyes:

You know, I forgot something.  If the cruise is still the switch on the dash to the left of the steering column are you assuming it's not working because it doesn't light up?  If this is the case go try it.  Go find a road you can do 55mph on, hit the cruise button once, and try setting it.  If it doesn't work push the button a couple of times just to confirm.  It could be the bulb is burnt out.

If you chose to go to a parts store to get the codes read, get the actual code.  Often they will only give you their interpretation of the code in order to sell you a part they have in the store.  Get the actual code.  It will be a P followed by 4 numbers, I.e P0451.

i got the codes at autozone they are p0028 which is intake valve control solenoid caused by a bad connection,bad part or too much oil. unplugged the connectors and plugged them back in until they clicked then checked the oil and it was a quart to much drained the quart out and after three cycles the light went out and cruise worked again,for about 1 hr. the other code was p0420 catylyst below threshold bank 1 which means (i think) bad catylist or rich af mixture they both went out for about i hr i was nice when they worked. the dome light was just a bulb,the ac was a broken belt,but why the belt broke i don't know,i think they over tightened the belts. now my harmonic balancer wobbles and moves in and out a little. called were i bought the car and was told it would cost 100 to 150 to diagnose. i just got this car and another 72 payments and its mine. i just gave them 500 bucks down that should fix something.... oh and by the way i cannot get into the rear passenger side door locked or unlocked help...

Your in washington so there should be some members that can help.

100 to 150 for a diagnosis is insane.

Call around and try to find a subaru shop you can use or see if there is a member nearby that can loan you a scanner.

Better yet you can pick up a decent scanner for around $50 off eBay or amazon and that is what you need to diagnose. You want live data feeds.