Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 legacy wagon, 2.2,  Automatic .

hi guys,, driving down the highway.. listening for a bearing in my front wheels.. felt like a tire was low.   Pulled over  looked at them,, maybe a bit low..  no biggie.  Jump back in ,, on down the round and the CEL light came on.

Temp was ok..

So I went 5 miles to auto zone,, had them pull the code,,,   it came back with P1401.

Fuel tank pressure control system function problem

1. open or short circuit condition

2. poor electrical connection.

3.  Failed fuel tank pressure control solenoid.

Any advice  ?

Just fishing from you guys because well,, lets face it,, most of the time you all know the deal already.

Thanks!

Edited by xdeadeye1

eh - I'd be tempted to clear the code and see if it comes back immediately. I'd also consider running some Techron in a tank or 2 of fuel.

do you ever have any other problems? fuel smells or a 'woosh' when you take the gas cap off? gas cap seal not cracked? Filler tube not rusted thru?  No known rodent chewed wires?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

had no other problems of this type.

I THINK I remember a woosh when I take the gas cap off.   Ill look at the seal on the cap..  Its stock plastic one.

Don't know about the filler tube. 

but no this is a brand new thing,, out of no where.

Any idea where this fuel tank pressure control solenoid is?  ,, I thought I might check that somehow.  with a mulitmeter ?

Ill see if I can find it in the Haynes manual.

there are vents in the top of the tank itself - do you have problems filling this car? premature shut-off or having to dribble gas in slowly? (dang - I kinda sound like a urologist!)

also, there is a Purge valve that is sopposed to clear-out vapors in the chacoal canister . basically, the fill and evap and pressure equalization gear may be buggered-up somehow. And it seems more like you have a bad valve or a blockage somewhere. There have been a few cases of insects/spiders blocking evap hoses. (mazda has had multiple problems with Yellow Sac Spiders, seriously) and I suppose it's possible mud/snow could block the Drain hose.

I am no expert, but there is likely one or 2 with 2 valves, or possibly a single hose and one valve (that allows 2-way air movement - on some cars called a Drain hose even though it's 2-way)) into and out of the charcoal canister. If that hose is clogged or the valve bad, the tank cannot allow pressure out, or air in thru the charcoal.If you have a habit of 'topping-off' when fueling, that can clog the charc. can. with gas - possibly acting like a blockage.

I hope you can get some info specific to the 96's evap and tank fill system. you might dig around at www.opposedforces.com for a diagram.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Fuel pressure regulator has nothing to do with this code. This code is related to a solenoid near the fuel tank which opens or closes at certain times to allow vapor pressure to build in the fuel tank. This is used to determine if the Evap system has any leaks. The tank is pressurized, then the Evap purge control solenoid is opened and the pressure drops as vacuum is applied to the tank. Pressure is monitored by the fuel tank pressure sensor.

The fuel tank pressure control solenoid is near the right front corner of the fuel tank. Use the green connectors under the dash to put the ECU in Test mode.

Check the valve to see if it clicks when in test mode.

Remove one of the hoses from the valve and see if you can blow air through as it clicks. Air should flow then stop in correlation with the clicking. If no air flows the valve is clogged or stuck closed. If air flows all the time the valve is stuck open or has some kind of obstruction keeping it from sealing.

If the valve doesn't click. Use a multimeter to check for 12v reaching the connector.

The ECU controls the ground side. Check for the ECU to switch the ground by probing both pins (red on one, black on the other) with the connector unplugged. Voltage will switch from 12 to 0.

If the valve clicks and air flows through it, there is probably a clog in the hoses somewhere between the valve and the tank, or between the valve and the evap canister.

• Like 2