Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water in front passenger foot area -- 2005 Outback

Hello all,

On my recent vacation to Cape Cod, I noticed water in the front passenger foot well, pooling up in the rubber floor mat and also in the adjacent carpet.

My first thought is condensation from the A/C unit somehow leaking in near the fan.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I remember changing the fan unit, which required removing the glovebox, about 2 years ago. Is there a possibility of A/C condensation to get trapped around there?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff in Boston

There is a drain for the evaporator section and it is common for these to clog up eventually.  Usually the fix is to blow some compressed air up the drain tube but it can also be cleared by pushing something flexible up the tube.  The tube is located near the bottom of the firewall under the hood on the passenger side.  You have to run the car up on ramps or jack it up to see and clear it.

Sometimes the housing around the evap has to be removed and cleaned out, not an easy job because of poor engineering design.

• Like 1