Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru xt6 rod crank bearings source

I've got an xt6 motor apart and need rod and main bearings. Dealer says they can't get them along with a local shop who says same thing. Its still not clear to me tho, are er27 rod and main bearings the same as ea82? If so, worst comes to worst I could buy two kits and be left with some extras...If not where can I get these things?

Thanks!

Same bearings, rods, pistons, rings as EA82's have. Just a few more of each.

Pulled pistons out of an '88 ER27, looked and measured the same as pistons out of '92 EA82 SPFI engine.

9.5-1 compression ratio from what I've read on here, and the XT site.

• Like 2

hey Joe,

I have found Lithia Subaru in Oregon City to be fairly knowledgeable on older soobs.   Additionally, they seem to be more 'helpful' than other dealers I have worked with.

Also, SSI in Milwaulkie has alot of experience with rebuilding EA motors.

• Like 1

They are indeed the same. Not interchangeable....the same part number. Which have no availability in the US warehouses, marked as not ordereable, and no dealers using Partseye have in stock. (This is all for the OEM bearings). Maybe Lithia has some other source, but I've got a guy standing next to me that's been in Subaru parts since the '70s, and we have no way to get those....

And I tried part numbers for the complete sets, and the individuals in standard sizes.

They are indeed the same. Not interchangeable....the same part number. Which have no availability in the US warehouses, marked as not ordereable, and no dealers using Partseye have in stock. (This is all for the OEM bearings). Maybe Lithia has some other source, but I've got a guy standing next to me that's been in Subaru parts since the '70s, and we have no way to get those....

And I tried part numbers for the complete sets, and the individuals in standard sizes.

They are EXACTLY the same.  The only reason Subaru shows a different part # is because the set comes with 6 instead of 4.  So, buy 2 sets: use 1.5.  I get so annoyed with dealer parts people who have no clue and are only going off parts numbers.  Hell, most of the dealer techs have never even seen the inside of a block and couldn't tell you why a '98 block is different from a '99 block.

Yes, the pistons ARE SPFI pistons.  They are not interchangeable with any others because they are directional.

You can use the same piston rings, bearings, most of the timing belt idlers, tensioners, (there is one extra, different one for the XT6), the right timing belt is the same as EA82, same piston rings, most of the same seals, same valves and springs. 

I believe the engine gasket kit is still available.  I have the number if you want it.

The water pump and oil pump are, I believe, different.  Obviously, some of the rubber is different, like the valve cover gaskets.

Let me know if you need parts numbers: I may have them.

Emily

partstrain.com shows various parts for the ER27 engine. I haven't ordered any from them, so can't say if they actually do have them.

And as to what Emily posted about oil and waterpump, I can say that the ER27 waterpump has larger bore for the inlet water pipe. Can't say anything about the hub height, as to whether it has a 105mm or 110mm, or something totally different.

Same bolt pattern as the EA82 pump though.

Have yet to measure out the ER27 oilpump to see if there is any differences that would stop one from using it on an EA82, or an EA82 one on the ER27.

But just by eye, they look vary similar.

Got the notion in my head that the ER27 oilpump "should" have a bit more volume to it. But, ?!?

They are EXACTLY the same.  The only reason Subaru shows a different part # is because the set comes with 6 instead of 4.  So, buy 2 sets: use 1.5.  I get so annoyed with dealer parts people who have no clue and are only going off parts numbers.  Hell, most of the dealer techs have never even seen the inside of a block and couldn't tell you why a '98 block is different from a '99 block.

Yes, the pistons ARE SPFI pistons.  They are not interchangeable with any others because they are directional.

You can use the same piston rings, bearings, most of the timing belt idlers, tensioners, (there is one extra, different one for the XT6), the right timing belt is the same as EA82, same piston rings, most of the same seals, same valves and springs. 

I believe the engine gasket kit is still available.  I have the number if you want it.

The water pump and oil pump are, I believe, different.  Obviously, some of the rubber is different, like the valve cover gaskets.

Let me know if you need parts numbers: I may have them.

Emily

Yep....that was exactly the point I was making. The individual bearings are the same part number. But neither the individuals or sets are available from Subaru

Yep....that was exactly the point I was making. The individual bearings are the same part number. But neither the individuals or sets are available from Subaru

Ah.  Clevite sells repackaged NDC (OEM) bearings.

Rods: CB1217P (specify std., .025, .050.)

Mains: Clevite MS1571AL (also specify size)

Emily

Thanks for all the feedback. Unfortunately, this project keeps getting messier. Bought the car with 3 motors, after inspecting them, its clear 2 have cracks in the cylinder walls, the last just got done being honed at the machine shop. He thinks it should have been bored out but we just don't have the money. Furthermore, the car came with a brand new set of pistons, but they are standard size so boring would cost us more in parts there as well. So we are already anticipating oil leaking from square one. So gotta decide whether its even worth to get new rod and crank bearings. I'm just not sure it will be worth it. The body and interior of the car looks super good but there are allot of unknowns since I bought it without the motor in it. The PO says air suspension and everythign worked, but for some reason I'm not so confident. I just wanna get a motor in there so I can see if everything else works. If all checks out, then maybe its worth doing a proper rebuild. It'd just suck to drop some serious cash into the motor and find a bunch of other problems that I won't have the motor...

Haha anybody got an xt6 short block in respectable condition? Might be better of to start with a better block...Got lots of good xt6 parts I could trade like tranny and set of heads, cranks and cams...