Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber Carb installed, but crazy high idle

So I just did the infamous swap in my 81 GL 4WD wagon from the hitachi carburetor to the 32/36 Weber. Got it all installed yesterday and it started! which was amazing, but then the idle immediately started rising and wouldnt stop. It kept going up to 5000 RPMs and I had to shut it off. So I adjusted the high idle screw and the idle mixture screw with and without the car running and and it did nothing to curb the really high idle.

Not sure what to do to get the RPMs down, the only thing I could think was to get a fuel pressure regulator to get the correct PSI going to the carb and maybe that will even it out? Any thoughts on solving this?

Also, after about the 5th or 6th time we started it, when we turned it off, I believe it shot fuel out of the carburetor, luckily I had just stepped away from the engine. But that would lead me to believe that I definitely need that fuel pressure regulator to bring it down.

The screw that touches the throttle, back that off until it's no longer touching the throttle linkage. Then operate the linkage by hand once and when it springs back make sure it's fully closed. Note turn the throttle screw in until it makes contact with the plate. Once it makes contact, start the car. Your idle is so high because your throttle isn't closed completely I'll bet. Try running the car with your throttle cable disconnected from the carb.

Funny you should say that I75eya because I did that exact thing today. I disconnected the throttle cable and I found that it didnt reach far enough, so it was pulling on the throttle the whole time. I feel a little silly but am so relieved to know that it wasnt something more serious. So I took the bracket that holds the throttle cable housing and drilled a new hole on the bracket behind the original hole to bring the whole cable forward and it now fits perfectly. Thanks for your input guys

I didnt set the timing ferox, and I'll be showing my ignorance by saying this but I dont actually know how to set the timing. I'm sure I can thumb through the manual, but anyone have any tips on setting the timing? and maybe knowing when the choke is adjusted properly? Cause I adjusted it, but I did it arbitrarily just to see if it would make a difference and I'm not sure it did.

• Like 1