Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 windscreen and rubber install ideas ?

OK, I've had a screen and rubber refit on my Brumby before by a guy who worked for a window company, his little business on the side with dad who was an old hand at windows. They supplied and fitted a new rubber, claimed it was a dry fit ie no sealants used. It was OK until it rained. Decided not call him and his oil dripping car back, so I aded the usual black window goop to resolve the issue - mostly. Years later, new spare screen goes in - my effort this time with goop.

Now, forget where goop went ? Just between glass and rubber, or rubber and body ? Still got some seepage, but saved the rate of $88 to do it myself in 20 minutes :)

Now, been sitting on a new seal for my newer Brumby.The old seal split now 12mm at a join in top corner. The rubber seal supplier said, and checked, yep, they are a dry seal fit, no goop ! I forgot to ask if would not hurt to add goop, and mention two choices to put it.

These seals have an internal gutter drainage built into them .... I sealed up the hole at top of split, water does not pass through, yet still, the split has interrupted the internal drain and leaks the waste water on my leg :(

So, before I finally get around to fitting this new rubber on my chipped screen...what are other peoples fitting tricks as far as goop or no goop, some goop ?

I remove rear view mirror, wiper arms, fit rubber to screen and use a pull cord wrapped around channel to pull seal inwards, some sili spray and done !