Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Howdy! I just bought a barn-find 85 BRAT.

Hello all,

Just bought my third Subie.  I loved my 96 impreza outback so much i went older and more badass.  I scored this excellent low miles pristine 85 BRAT!  The BRAT was purchased by a flipper from the original owner.  It has been in Air Conditioned storage according to the flipper since 1991.  It appears to be in excellent shape except for one sizable dent in the front right quarter panel.  I am having it shipped to me in a couple of weeks and still contemplating mods.  Should i raise it two inches... should i lower it... should i leave it stock.  I am planning to add a Webber carb and a cat back exhaust.  Definitely will hide a better sound system in there and maybe add a roll cage.  Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated!  I'm working with a world class custom shop to bring her back to road worthy.

Not sure if the pushbar, foglights, 4x4 visor tint and cap are stock... It came with an extra set of factory wheels.  If you have any suggestions on restoration, swaps or otherwise, I'd love to hear 'em.  Otherwise I'll keep combing this forum for info.

pAIBguk.jpg

eEVRQr6.jpg

tuZ4m41.jpg

7wTKEb2.jpg

7tCC7Mw.jpg

4pwXB72.jpg

4Y5hgXA.jpg

kxRRQ7C.jpg

Ip60Wju.jpguhEIGsn.jpg

Thanks for hosting this excellent forum which provides so much wisdom on the legend of the Subie.

• Like 3

dude!!!! that thing is beautiful, how much did you score it for? as far as swaps go, a 5 speed swap wouldn't hurt, our man Jerry ( Bratsrus) has a sweet kit that keeps everything looking stock for around 100, and then there's the good old ej22 swap which a few of our members have parts for, http://andersondesign-fab.com/ and http://www.sjrlift.com/ , if you go for a lift, which both of those sites have, there's nothing wrong with a nice 6 lug redrill, and last but not least if you happen to have a  gl-10 laying around, you can do the ever loved rear disc brake swap which is somewhat painless. I'll search around and get you some links for all of these, and again congrats on that BRAT.

• Like 1

That thing is awesome!!! super jealous...personally wouldn't recommend moding it out but to each is own. Just please dont tear it up! If you want something to lift and go wheelin buy a brat thats already ugly. That thing looks great for a reason, cuz its been sitting in a garage with AC and NOT getting the hell beat out of it. Keep it how it is and it's value will only go up.

• Like 2

I think I'm gonna cry. That is such a beautiful BRAT! Ditto what joe5 said! And if you do lift it, i would only go two or three inches. Of coarse i have no experience lifting and have never owned a lifted vehicle, but out of the lift jobs ive seen i personally would prefer two or three inches. Once again, awesome ride dude!

• Like 1

.... Wow that's nice. The push bar, the topper, the lights, wow....

Personally, as mentioned above, I would restore it and leave it stock, as the value of these vehicles are steadily rising. If you want a brat for fun, get one that's not as.... Beautiful as that one.... But in the end it's your car (congrats BTW!) And you can do to it as you see fit. If you want to see a big reaction here, just drive it in to a wall. I'm pretty sure the gasps, curses, and tears will resound collectively and you might actually when hear us if you step outside and it's quiet enough.

That being said! If you want a nice daily driver, I would check out the five speed swap above, it's pretty straightforward and that gearbox will make better use of the very limited power that motor puts out.

The ej swap is a good thing to do as well. Those rims are gorgeous. Wow.

Naturally it's impolite to ask, but if you'd care to share how many bills it cost there's plenty of curious minds. Even a ballpark would suffice. Welcome to our little secret cult.

Edited by l75eya
  • Like 1

through the green haze, all I see is a non BRAT / Brumby dash and gauge cluster or did the US market get all that ?

taking the canopy off carefully would make it look heaps better

it is 30 years old and could have had a few things done to it over the years, uch as a 5 speed swap

do what you like with it - it is yours :) - but you have a moral responsibility too mind you !

No 5-speed D/R from the Factory. Correct.

But Above pic shows 5-speed shift knob, so someone either swap the trans or they cheated and just used the knob for "Looks".

HAH! i didnt even notice, i was too busy oogling the body

• Like 1

And here I thought I found I nice brat!

:slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber:

I really dig the rims...assuming they are not stock? (I'm a new owner myself and still learning)  Anyone know what those are off of? 

Personally, I think it's great as-is and wouldn't do too much modding.

• Like 1

That appears to be an OEM accessory winch bumper/brush guard minus the winch. The topper is an excellent addition though not factory. None were. It does however appear to be the very rare trim mounted topper which mounts on the bed trim with a rubber seal, keeping it off the paint on the side of the bed. I have one on one of my Brats. The rims are aftermarket and very rare now. Good luck finding center caps. I doubt it has had a 5 speed swap. That is an aftermarket shifter knob. Too bad some jacka** hacked up the center console. Good luck finding one in grey. Been looking forever. The steering wheel is factory for '84-'87. That is a VERY nice, low mileage Brat and finds like that are very few and far between. Please... DO NOT drill holes or make mods that cannot be undone. Leave it alone. If you want one to mod, I'll trade you my '87 in almost as good of shape, with higher miles plus cash! That's how serious I am about NOT screwing with this find you have. It's yours to do as you will, but modding a Brat of this condition would be nothing short of a travesty.

Edited by skishop69
  • Like 3

That appears to be an OEM accessory winch bumper/brush guard minus the winch. The topper is an excellent addition though not factory. None were. It does however appear to be the very rare trim mounted topper which mounts on the bed trim with a rubber seal, keeping it off the paint on the side of the bed. I have one on one of my Brats. The rims are aftermarket and very rare now. Good luck finding center caps. I doubt it has had a 5 speed swap. That is an aftermarket shifter knob. Too bad some jacka** hacked up the center console. Good luck finding one in grey. Been looking forever. The steering wheel is factory for '84-'87. That is a VERY nice, low mileage Brat and finds like that are very few and far between. Please... DO NOT drill holes or make mods that cannot be undone. Leave it alone. If you want one to mod, I'll trade you my '87 in almost as good of shape, with higher miles plus cash! That's how serious I am about NOT screwing with this find you have. It's yours to do as you will, but modding a Brat of this condition would be nothing short of a travesty.

let him do what he wants, no point in being a sour puss. Hubs are easy to find Skishop

• Like 1

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.  I knew it was a good find but now I see it's a bit of a unicorn (among unicorn enthusiasts)!  I was simply looking for a cool midlife crisis daily driver once I realized I was too old for a WRX STi.  

Everyone take a deep breath, I told the shop I'm working with that any mod we do must be undoable so I can return her to stock.  However, since you've pointed out that the CB install hacked up the center console, can we write that off and cut in a newer stereo head unit with no remorse?  Otherwise I'm sure I can hide it in an existing crevice.  The five speed mod sounds intriguing.  I want to drive her and see how she feels before making any big decisions.  The tires need to be replaced first thing.  Thus the interest in lifting a couple of inches.  The sale came with the factory tires as well so I could potentially mount two options.  Suggestions on tires would be appreciated.

As for the price, I paid 6 grand to join this elusive club so far.  I'm paying $500 to have her delivered by flatbed car hauler.  I'd like to keep the project under 10k in this round of restoration.  I'll report back once we get her on the lift and see what needs repairs.  

Thanks for being so passionate in your love of Subaru history.  I promise to treat her gently and have her home before dark.

• Like 1

You could list it on eBay and make your money back and then some just as is. You'll only notice the disadvantage of the four speed on the highway. Not geared too well for highway speeds, and that's where the 5 speed makes life easier (quieter?)

Update: I just asked the seller to confirm 5 speed as I had heard the 85 didnt ship with a 5 speed.  His reply:

As far as the transmission, I'm 99% sure it is an original factory 5-speed transmission

The plot thickens...

The 5 speeds didn't come factory in brats. Tell him he's 99% wrong. The 1% can stand for it is a factory transmission for a 85-88 3rd gen gl not a 2nd gen. The 5 speeds didn't come out until late 84 in the newer body style gl's. The 5 speed is pretty much a bolt in swap though.

This is a 3rd gen 4wd gl 

1987_subaru_gl-pic-6481072485202446960.j

Even then, to swap in a five speed you would need to mix and match flywheels, clutch plates, and starters, no?

ea81 and ea82 starters are basicly the same (ea82's are slightly bigger). The ea82 flywheel bolts to a ea81 using the ea81 bolts (unless you want to drill and tap the to the bigger bolt size of the ea82 crank). This route all you have to do is get a ea82 clutch kit. If you reuse the ea81 flywheel you need to machine it down to the ea82 flywheel specs. Then use a ea82 clutch disk and a ea81 pressure plate.

tell tale signs for a 4 speed is usually a lot of slop in stick :(

5th is next to 3rd on a five speed, and I often try for same position on my 4 speed and am yet to get to let the clutch out before brain cuts in :)

Don't be fooled into thinking a 5 speed with 3.7:1 diff will do any fewer noticeable revs in top over the four speed with 3.7:1 diff it all seems to be closer ratios.

tsb mentions a combo of EA82 disc, EA81 pressure plate - this needs more thought by me to work it out but EA81 4WD covers have 23mm step, EA82 use 21mm. Use full kit EA82 on, so long as flywheel off EA81 is 225mm one, the flywheel gets a 21mm step.

A one piece tailshaft is a nice way not to have to add a crude or otherwise, centre bearing support for an EA82 two piece tailshaft.

Also need EA82 clutch pedal, clutch cable and mod the pedal box for cable

Maybe we need to run a bet on 4 or 5 speed ?