Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for great EA81 carb mechanic in Northern California area

Hi everyone,

My 1985 Brat fails San Francisco's emissions every couple years.  I'm actually amazed it ever passes. :)  This time, it's a bit worse.  I found a mechanic who is supposedly great at carbs but he's having a lot of trouble.  He rebuilt it, I sent him vacuum tube diagrams I found on the Internet, and he can't make it work b/c it's running way too rich.   He thinks it might be a bad air control valve.  I tried briefly to find one and couldn't.

More importantly, I'd love to find someone (maybe one of you) I could pay to make this thing pass emissions, either with the stock Hitachi or with a Weber or other conversion.  I would even take it to a neighboring state.  Besides passing emissions, maybe it can even run better.  I'm looking for guidance but I've not the time to do it myself.

This is a mint, beautiful stock car - GL, dual range, T tops, new seats and carpet (to stock spec).

I've had Subarus since I was a kid in Colorado, this is a keepsake from my childhood.

Thanks, guys!

Jordy