Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New 1984 Subaru GL owner needs help

Hi all. I just picked up a 1984 Subaru GL for $250 and by far its the best $250 I have ever spent. I'm having an issue with it and need some help. When I drive with the headlights on, the second cooling fan goes off and causes the car to run hot, especially if I have the A/C on. I am mechanically inclined, but with this I have no idea where to start and before I send it out somewhere I want to see if I can take care of it myself. Also, if anyone has the rubber trim for the left side on the back bumper for sale, I'd like to buy it. Here are a few pictures of it and my 1990 300SE and the bumper trim that is missing. Thanks in advance!

post-59534-0-39895400-1439572936_thumb.jpg

post-59534-0-89636300-1439572941_thumb.jpg

post-59534-0-92208000-1439572949_thumb.jpg

Look at the relays on R fender to see if maybe been mis-connected. Have someone work the light switch as you feel each relay to find the one that works with the lights. My newest FSM is '82 so I'm guessing they are about same. I do have the Mitchell wiring manual for '84 but they don't do very well on relay locations. The fan wire should be blue w/red stripe, it's relay will also have a blue, a yellow and a blue w/black stripe jumper to next relay

• 2 weeks later...

Thats a great find! Oddly enough I picked up an 84 gl sedan same color and in great condition a few weeks ago for $300 and thought it must have been the best deal in the world but you've done $50 dollars better  :)

But seriously, you've found a great great deal paying less than scrap value for a car that can be potentially very valuable to a buyer who appreciates it. The ea81 sedans were ONLY made in 1984 and are very rare today in good condition. I believe less than 10k were originally made and obviously the number that exist in decent condition today is much less than that. Take good care of it!