Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cooling problems :(

Ok, I'm looking at my wifes soob, i'm getting exhaust gas into the cooling system, is there any way to tell with a compression gauge if it's a blown head gasket or cracked head? or am I gonna have to strip the engine out and pull the heads and have them pressure tested?

Ok, I'm looking at my wifes soob, i'm getting exhaust gas into the cooling system, is there any way to tell with a compression gauge if it's a blown head gasket or cracked head? or am I gonna have to strip the engine out and pull the heads and have them pressure tested?

Any more symtoms?

Just pull the head. You know you have to anyway, and you will probably be able to see if it was the HG or not. And any cracks in the heads you will probably be able to see with the naked eye. Only if you can't see any cracks, and the HG looked good would I consider pressure testing it. But I would might just put on a known good head instead at that point. Depends - what engine is it? EA81 heads are only $75 each from AHR here in Portland. I can't imagine you could get your head pressure tested and what not for much less. EA82, or EA82T heads could be more tho.....

GD

yeah, I know it's going to have to come off so I can do the gasket. this is a 86 EA82 SPFI. I had a line on a pair of known good heads but i suffered a catastrophic email meltdown and lost the guy in oregon's email address :(