Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Code 55

we have XT Factory Service Manuals available at subaruxt.com for free.  they have the EA82 engine in them and may be helpful as the FSM has what I think is all the trouble codes in a diagnostic tree format.

i imagine you can find the FSM elsewhere too, google search, etc.

Edited by grossgary

The sensor is located just befor the egr in the manifold. It looks like a tiny o2 sensor. The wire/s going to it are tiny and black. There is a wire that can be grounded/ungrounded to enable which emissions package your ecm set too. Its been so long I cant remember which one. If you dont have to pass an inspection I will look on my car for you. Setting the ecm to non-cali would eliminate that code and its easy to do (or it was on my older black box ecms). Let me know i think well get this solved.

• Like 1

I believe the only difference between the 49st and cali functions of the ECM is the EGR monitor. It simply is there to verify flow at the EGR. For one too change the ECM function from cal to 49st and eliminate the EGR monitor, all you have to do is snip the wire for pin 33. BUT, Ive only tried this on a couple 87-89 black ECMs/harnesses. I cannot verify if this is the same on the silver Loyale box you guys have. One could look in their fsm to be sure. In other words look before you leap or try at your own risk! Leave extra wire for re-solder etc. In your FSM it may be titled something different like "specification grnd" or just "ground". Hopefully one of you can confirm this.

post-16651-0-56371600-1440103474_thumb.gif

Also keep in mind that the attached pin-out is looking at the face of the connector, so it would be reversed when you go to snip a wire.

A tiny pic works too. Ive had to add pins to the connectors, and swap stuff around. Though they are tough if one is not familiare with removing them (especially the smaller pins) youll just break the wire in the connector. If he wants to go this route, use some tiny needle noses to pull the black retainer clip first.

DaveT, do you have the FSM for the Loyale? Be nice to know if your ECMs are similar. Ive avoided them for my swaps becuse of some of the extra functions.

I found the same chart in my 90 FSM.  Same pin has the wire for 49 / California.  Sounds / looks like they are the same.

Can't find it in my 86 manual, although the MPFI section shows a similar chart, with a different pin for the same function.

• Like 1

I believe the only difference between the 49st and cali functions of the ECM is the EGR monitor. It simply is there to verify flow at the EGR. For one too change the ECM function from cal to 49st and eliminate the EGR monitor, all you have to do is snip the wire for pin 33. BUT, Ive only tried this on a couple 87-89 black ECMs/harnesses. I cannot verify if this is the same on the silver Loyale box you guys have. One could look in their fsm to be sure. In other words look before you leap or try at your own risk! Leave extra wire for re-solder etc. In your FSM it may be titled something different like "specification grnd" or just "ground". Hopefully one of you can confirm this.

attachicon.gifUntitled-1.gif

Also keep in mind that the attached pin-out is looking at the face of the connector, so it would be reversed when you go to snip a wire.

I doubt the EGR sensor is the only difference.

I expect the fuel and spark maps are slightly different in order to meet the tighter california emission standards.

Maybe EGR flow too.

Hardware wise, it seems to be the only difference, having swapped a 49 state engine into my Cali car. 

Maps and all that, I don't know.

I could probably pull the ROMs out of a couple and read them, but not having the source code would be beyond me to figure out just what is different. 
Could there be any tweaks in the maps worth tinkering with?

Its possible the cats were different for the cali models too. Cant say tho. Perhaps the egr valves had differnet flow specs. If there were differences in flow, would it have been enough to require different mappings? I noticed no difference between running either function. Ive also driven with the EGR unhooked and dont recall any issues. I sorta think the timing and fueling maps were set pretty effectively for the standards of the era, and they may have had really no reason to embed such changes. I do realize the flow sensor is there for some reason. But seriously, who cares anyways. We have no way to see the software so its a moot point. The real goal here is; one wire is all it takes for these ECUs to be switched between functions. Give it a try and let us know if you get a ping or change in mpgs...

Edited by ihscout54

I found the same chart in my 90 FSM.  Same pin has the wire for 49 / California.  Sounds / looks like they are the same.

Can't find it in my 86 manual, although the MPFI section shows a similar chart, with a different pin for the same function.

The '86 is an oddball, but may be the same as the '88 FSM attached pin-out. Thanks for looking this up, I know it takes time to look stuff up.

• 2 weeks later...

Its a ground and wont be hot or have "power". Without looking at a diagram I cannot say where its tied in to ground. Ungrounding pin 33 will change the designation or function of the ecm.

In other words yes cutting that wire or removing it from the connector should work. You must have had an engine swap or some mod during the cars life to cause this issue.

Are you sure its the same code? Im guessing you cleared the codes.

You need to verify the specification code after removing the ground. Make sure there is no way that you are getting ground to pin 33. 

5: M/T Federal emissions (wire disconnected)

6: M/T Cali (wire connected)

7: A/T Fed (wire disconnected)

8: A/T Cali (wire connected)

Unless the ECM is bad or the Loyale ecms are different, Im unsure of how you can still get this code with pin 33 ungrounded.

Judging from your other post its possible the car is MPFI, I dont have a pinout for the MPFI models. That may be the cause of the codes persistence. Should have clarified this first.