Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Locking The Back Tool Compartment? 89 GL.

Has anyone ever installed a lock on the back storage (i think its called the tool compartment) by where the hatch is?

they've been recently breaking into cars and my GL having so much wear and tear on the locks that my house key opens the door and a flat head screwdriver turns the vehicle on... so its only a matter of time.

i see its all enclosed in metal, almost like a safe and im sure a simple lock will keep my tools safe unless they start making a bunch of noise trying to cut it but that defeats the purpose of robbing in the middle of the night :P

any ideas or pictures/instructions (if you have already done this) of installing a lock will help alot, and i've noticed that its alittle flexible so installing it in the middle would be best so they dont just use a crow bar, but its in the way and just need the best way to do this..

thanks.

Edited by Subasaurus

I would just put a keyed lock on each side (at each end of the long box)  Grind a groove through the side of the box for the lock to rotate into and there you go.  Maybe hide the locks under the carpet though as odds are most thieves won't even know that the storage is there.  (I am thinking of a Gen 3 with my thoughts.... and trying to remember if the bumper going through the rear tube would interfere with my theory.... but if it DOES... maybe put some angle iron back in there bolted to the sides that the lock can lock over)  Actually... thinking as I type this I kinda like the angle iron idea better as in order to lift the lid you would have to either break the lock off, bend the lid really bad, or bend the angle iron which won't happen if you use stout stuff.

• Like 1

i don't know how much it would be? it is pretty funny though, when my gf can open the passenger door with her house key while i just use any key i have and choose to use.

do you have any idea around what it would cost? me just bringing him the barrels (2 of them). My lock on the hatch is actually in very good shape and only the key that came with the vehicle can open it so theres no issue with the rear one.

and should i do the ignition one also? considering my screwdriver turns it foward? but costs is the only thing im worried about.

Edited by Subasaurus