Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy Wagon non turbo CLUTCH CHANGE HELP

Hello All!! ,

OK, I got the sweet little 93 legacy wagon for my daughter,who has pretty much "learned" how to drive a straight shift on.For some reason the clutch is slipping....hmmmmm.(I did make sure it's all the way on adjustment). Any way, I figured it would need one soon so here I go.......

My question : is the clutch change pretty much the same as my 84 gl wagon? Pull the engine,change parts,and rear main seal and valve cover gaskets and oil pan gasket....etc etc ?

Or is there anything special about it?

Planning on doing the job Friday the 28th.

ANY THOUGHT OF PULLING THE TRANSMISSION  INSTEAD OF THE ENGINE???  Would  it be easier that way?

THANKS ALL!!

Edited by subarusaver

I am in the middle of a swap on my 95 wagon bought for my son.   I pulled the engine...much easier.   Engine is out and now just getting to clutch.  

I would pull it and check for oil leaks.   These engine have a tendency of leaking around oil seperator plate...which is behind flywheel.   Search for that and you will find a bunch of threads.   Good luck....for both of us.    Let me know how I can help.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the tip!! :) Sure enough,it still had the PLASTIC oil vapor separator and it looked like it had been leaking pretty bad.

I purchased a metal one from the local parts store for $24...not bad and it even came with screws!!! I chose not to bother the o ring as I could not get the screws out and it did not look like it was an issue. I DID HAVE A STOOPID moment though,which I will list for some other poor soul like me....LOL . My neighbor had come over to help and we talked alot as we installed the new clutch,trying at the same time to explain the way it works to my un interested 18yr old daughter......while NOT paying attention,we re assembled everything. First issue, the engine would not slide all the way back...that took some prying  lol.Finally , with only the radiator left and at approx 5am,my neighbor goes home to get some sleep and I was to finish..For some reason I noticed the clutch fork looking looser than normal :blink: ,decided to check it from in the car.Well, it went straight to the floor and STAYED there :banghead: ....YEAH, pulled it BACK out and we had put the clutch disc in backwards...fixed that..getting real tired now..attempting to put the little engine back in I was determined to figure why it would not slide back........I ALWAYS go about things somewhat backwards,so I started at the drive line,then transmission mount,and when there was only ONE THING LEFT, I took out the little bolt that bolts the bell housing to the firewall..and it slid right in to place!!!!! I'm not usually this stoopid ,but maybe someone can get some humor or help from my mistakes...Thank you USMB!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the tip!! :) Sure enough,it still had the PLASTIC oil vapor separator and it looked like it had been leaking pretty bad.

I purchased a metal one from the local parts store for $24...not bad and it even came with screws!!! I chose not to bother the o ring as I could not get the screws out and it did not look like it was an issue. I DID HAVE A STOOPID moment though,which I will list for some other poor soul like me....LOL . My neighbor had come over to help and we talked alot as we installed the new clutch,trying at the same time to explain the way it works to my un interested 18yr old daughter......while NOT paying attention,we re assembled everything. First issue, the engine would not slide all the way back...that took some prying  lol.Finally , with only the radiator left and at approx 5am,my neighbor goes home to get some sleep and I was to finish..For some reason I noticed the clutch fork looking looser than normal :blink: ,decided to check it from in the car.Well, it went straight to the floor and STAYED there :banghead: ....YEAH, pulled it BACK out and we had put the clutch disc in backwards...fixed that..getting real tired now..attempting to put the little engine back in I was determined to figure why it would not slide back........I ALWAYS go about things somewhat backwards,so I started at the drive line,then transmission mount,and when there was only ONE THING LEFT, I took out the little bolt that bolts the bell housing to the firewall..and it slid right in to place!!!!! I'm not usually this stoopid ,but maybe someone can get some humor or help from my mistakes...Thank you USMB!!!!!

I just got my engine back in.   How did you start off with the clutch adjustment once you corrected the problem?   I am thinking I will just adjust for the pedal free play...but not sure.   How did you do it?

Tom