Ultimate Subaru Message Board

not a BRAT brake master, so what is it ?

please ?

I did a long distance parts order for a master cylinder for 85 BRAT

and got this

DSC07038_zpsdtas8c72.jpg

does anyone know what it may be off?

it is a Front Rear not a Primary Secondary divided circuit master

is cast iron not alloy

is a remote reservoir not a sit on top type

is six and 12 o'clock mounting not 3 and 9

was in correct box marked wrong product and five stars to draw attention

how effing wrong a part could this be ??

currently going through refund query process which won't be happy due to postage raw deal

starting to know Tweetys pain

I am thinking forward control van with remote reservoirs ....

markings are R for rear circuit, F for front circuit

markings underside are a raised 3 on its own, then further along is 224000

no other identifying markings at all, other than a U stamped into the machined face that would bolt to a booster

looks to be 25mm or 1" bore, no closer to 15/16" not 13/16" of our subes !

total body length 195mm

and 59mm ctr to centre mounting holes

Edited by jono

Oh BratRod - you reckon ? ...when you say late model ...what sort of years do you think ? Thought B2000 was twenty years ago , sort of been 12v  B2600 in our market since about 1990 in the Ford Courier/Mazda Bravo. Nice pick if it is !

I am sure it is not worth the freight cost to get it back to the States either

Most Toyota stuff seems to have aisin cast in to them somwhere

it weighs 1325 grams which must have played with their freight allowance when compared to the 606 grams of the Subaru master !!

genuine prices are sometimes the same or less than after market - such as outback clutch kit was almost 300 dearer aftermarket and another 400 metres past the genuine dealer. EA81 sump gaskets about same between markets. Then there is a quality thing. Yes, just felt my local guys disinterest in helping me get a kit to do my calipers translated into me thinking if I ordered two masters from US I could just shop for a few more things and have no troubles like you do when going for shims and the little hardware kits - spring clips, another MC overhaul kit, got a pair of reco calipers, some caliper kits and other little bits of handy - all works out quite better value until you get this pig in a poke !

ps ...ebay price on new MC A$375 delivered !

Edited by jono

thanks :)  heaps for the clarification BratRod , my upside down southern hemisphere understanding of late model has been more most recent model, and early model is how I would describe 1980s model. I'll look it up on Rocks site see what I see - definitely a white heffalump here.

Not really happy Rock just offering a refund on purchase price when the box is so clearly marked for attention and not correct product. Their auto resolution software suggested no other replacement item available to supply. Might have to talk to them on the phone ......

• Like 1

BratRod - been in to look at the Ford Courier 1980 master cylinders and yep , yep I reckon you are so on the money with that ID

Excellent call !

an 11787 in an 11967 box !

Issue is resolved with Rockauto in a satisfactory outcome I suppose. No hassle - keep it, got purchase price refund and a percentage of freight cost refunded to my payment account. So, I guess I have to be happy with that. Also got  a BMC in reco form to suit a LHD Ford Courier from 77 to 1980 with a rock price of 40 bucks! I suppose with some new pipe work could also fit a RHD unless RHD and LHD outlets are the same - but doubt it .

Not such a cult vehicle yet the old Couriers :D

Thanks for your efforts gents :)

Edited by jono

Jonno try these not as hard to find or expensive as you think.

http://www.eziautoparts.com.au/clutch-and-brake/protex-master-cylinder-assemblies.html

http://www.pedders.com.au/catalogue/subaru/brumby/1981-1994-18ltr-f2-au5-0

https://www.powerbrakes.com.au/shop/index.php/page/shop/browse/category_id/4e1d9041aed7d913590c319651dcc449

http://cartersclutchandbrake.com.au/JB1476

They are also pretty much earlier Datsun master cylinders when all said and done just size variations as for instance Datto 1600 and 180B were 3/4 " (19mm) and 240K and Skylines went up to 7/8" (22mm) and Subaru Brumby and MY Leone were from memory 20.4 mm.

Even bigger from later Nissans or dare I say Subaru's can be adapted but will only be required when using Impressa brake upgrades needing more fluid pushed by the master cylinder.

Edited by coxy

Good one coxy - forgot Pedders were also into brakes ! Good thing when I ordered up from rock, ordered a rebuild kit for a master, got another reco master in oversize and some almost complete reco calipers, so I can run my own exchange service amongst my fleet instead of cripple one to race another :) . I will be set I think. thanks :)