Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PLEASE HELP STUCK ON A PROBLEM. STARTING ISSUES

hi there i have joined this site with the hope that some MECHANICALLY MINDED AND EXPERIENCED people can give me advise on whats wrong with my 1999 subaru forester. turbo, manual model.  ok so heres whats happening. recently i have noticed in the last 3 or so months the car wont start as nice and quick as it used too. it was gradually but slowly taking abit more for the starter motor to tick the engine over. last week i noticed the car making a very odd sounding noise on startup.(ONCE CAR IS STARTED IT RUNS ABSOLUTELY FINE) as a few days went by the noise worsened on startup and the car started having abit of trouble getting started. 3 days ago the noise was horrible and wouldnt start at all after doing shopping, it was cranking over but the engine wouldnt start.....i gave it 10 minutes and tried to start it again. still ugly noise while cranking and no start. so i put it into reverse and turned and held the key so that it rolled back as the starter motor cranked, then i hit the clutch and the car started up??????  took the car home and parked it up. i removed starter motor and got another one from another turbo forester and put it in. now the car starts again but i am getting that noise again and the car isnt starting up nicely like it normally would... ive been around to a mechanic who told me to go to a auto electrician and get his opinion and for him to listen to the noise also.. they have given me the thort that it may be the RING GEAR that is stuffed??? i had the iniyial thought that i had brought a dud starter motor. they told me to come home and take starter back off and look at the ring gear....... keeping in mind that once the car is running its fine!! issue is only on startup.  DOES ANY1 KNOW WHATS HAPPNING? ANY1 HAD THIS ISSUE BEFORE?? Please help