Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL Wagon Value?

Just curious here. I am the original owner of this wagon and it is very good condition. Runs great and I drive it all the time, It is a 5-spd., on demand 4WD, AC, power everything. No rust, no dents other than a couple of "soft" ones. Has all its original trim. Totally stock except for a Weber carb.

Any idea on its current value?

Subarule

Of course value is subjective but this is what I've seen the past couple years on craigslist here in PNW oregon and washington (i've also bought and sold a couple ea82 wagons recently)

ea82 wagons in truly good condition can go between 1500-2k.  With moderate wear and tear but driveable go between 1k -1.5k. The real beaters if still running at all between 500-1k and if not running less than 500. The quality of your add and some patience can go along way for getting the most for your car. Good luck with the sale! Post some pics, maybe someone on the forum will want it!

and fyi, these numbers are based on what I've seen SELL. Its not unusual to see cars listed for much higher prices, but they tend to sit on the market for extended periods of time and usually drop down significantly in price before selling.

I have no intentions of selling, just wondering what might be worth at this point in time. I haven't seen one for sale on Craigslist that's in as good a condition as mine, or that wasn't jacked all to hell, in years. In fact, an 86 GL 5 spd. 1.8,with  on demand 4WD seems to be as scarce as hen's teeth. My Subie has been garaged for most its life but does have some paint loss on the roof. Other than that, pretty primo.

I'll hang onto it until I have to give up my DL due to old age.

Thank you for the ballpark prices.

• 2 weeks later...

You never mentioned the mileage or whether it still has the original engine.  Therefore, nobody can give you a good number.

Replaced engine in 2001 with a crate engine from Japan. Then I retired, so that engine only has about 60-70K total miles on it, I'm guessing. I haven't taken any trips in it. I trade off driving it with my SUV. I only go into town (about 3 miles away) once or twice a week and take the Subie every other time to keep a charge on the battery (which is brand new).

I'd agree with these quotes... they sound pretty reasonable.

I bought my 87 back in 1997 or so for $2700 (it has since been scrapped) and later in the early 2000's I bought a handful of GL's / GL-10's / Loyales for $200-$400 each and resold for between $1200 and $1500.  The values of the gen 3's has been pretty stable over the last decade.  Gen 1's on the other hand have grown in value, gen 2's are starting to increase in some situations.

Of course value is subjective but this is what I've seen the past couple years on craigslist here in PNW oregon and washington (i've also bought and sold a couple ea82 wagons recently)

ea82 wagons in truly good condition can go between 1500-2k.  With moderate wear and tear but driveable go between 1k -1.5k. The real beaters if still running at all between 500-1k and if not running less than 500. The quality of your add and some patience can go along way for getting the most for your car. Good luck with the sale! Post some pics, maybe someone on the forum will want it!

I'd agree with these quotes... they sound pretty reasonable.

I bought my 87 back in 1997 or so for $2700 (it has since been scrapped) and later in the early 2000's I bought a handful of GL's / GL-10's / Loyales for $200-$400 each and resold for between $1200 and $1500.  The values of the gen 3's has been pretty stable over the last decade.  Gen 1's on the other hand have grown in value, gen 2's are starting to increase in some situations.

Thanks to all who replied. Hopefully, the older she gets the more the value increases.