Ultimate Subaru Message Board

And it's good news! I posted several days ago about an overheating problem with my 96 Legacy Wagon. I got lots of good suggestions about what the problem might be.

My husband and I "burped" the radiator of air on Sunday and dropped the Legacy off at the mechanic on Wednesday and told him that we suspected air bubbles, radiator problems, catalytic or head gasket trouble.

The mechanic started with the simplest--he was able to get a lot more air out of the coolant and added another 1/2 quart of liquid by the time he was done. Then he took it for a drive, let it idle with a thermometer on the engine and couldn't get it to overheat. He tested the coolant for exhaust gases and that test came out negative (whew!) so I don't think we have HG problems at this time.

The overheating started the day after we had gone to a jiffy lube type place and had them flush and fill the coolant. They apparently didn't know what they were doing--so we will have our real mechanic do it from now on.

My husband took it for a long drive this evening and no problems! But, I am still a little distrustful of my poor little Subaru and am hesitant to take it to work tomorrow. The overheating we had makes me so paranoid, my husband and I commute about 45 miles a day to and from work and I would hate to overheat again in the middle of Nowhere, Nebraska. I think it will just take a little time to "feel the love" for the Legacy again. Really it has really been a great car considering how many miles we have on it (170K).

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and help, I really appreciate this community!

Bunnymama :)