Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rescued 1979 Subaru Wagon, now i need help..

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 weslito2

weslito2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Verona, NJ

Posted 19 October 2015 - 11:12 AM

PM sent about parts needed if you do pull stuff tomorrow. Thanks

#27 Subasaurus

Subasaurus

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • San Antonio, Texas

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:25 PM

There's a 78? 79? wagon at the local You Pull Yard here in Albuquerque. I was thinking of stripping what I could off it myself, even tho I don't have one of those years yet.....
Things are not rusted that bad here in the Southwest. I'm going to see if I can get there Tuesday 10/20 (Tomorrow) if not I'm definitely hitting the Yard next week. I need some rear disks and a 5 speed for a 84 hatch project I have... I'll take pics of the wagon, see if I can pull anything etc.. .maybe I can go back and swipe a few things if you still need them

>need dashboard ashtray,
>both rear door plastic handles
>those plastic things that go in the interior of the door that go in the inside (behind) of the pull handle, its held on only by 1 phillips on each one, need all 4.
>if theres a 5inch (the model with 4 headlights) and they say Koito (the ones that came original to the car), i need 1 low/high beam and 2 highbeam circular headlights (3 sealed glass headlights total)

thanks!!
-Omar

Edited by Subasaurus, 20 October 2015 - 08:47 AM.

#28 coylethebarbarian

coylethebarbarian

Salvaging Subaru Savage..

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Albuquerque

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:59 PM

I switched my shifts with a coworker, so I can go this Sunday October 25th. I'm going to pull some rear disks, seats, etc etc things I need off other subes then I'll jump on the wagon. I'll get all I can while there..and take pics of the rest. If I can't get everything that day I'll see if I can get back before they crush it.

#29 weslito2

weslito2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Verona, NJ

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:16 PM

Thanks!

#30 Subasaurus

Subasaurus

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • San Antonio, Texas

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

so i've noticed not much is going on in the historic subaru section so ill fill it in with one of my old posts that i never completed, heres my Subaru GL Update  like i promised, still on the road after 2 years that i rescued it..

-few things that don't belong on this car for those of you that can notice OEM period parts, ill just point them out right now---

>rear spoiler wing from an EA82 since finding one for an EA71 is impossible

>the metal rubber bumpers that are mounted on the bumpers come from like a 1982 Lincoln Continental

>removed the faded Wood Grain stripe across the roof rack and replaced it with a strip of flexible chrome

>chromed the grill

>chrome wheel rings around the wheels from an EA81

>the headlight that says 75 on it comes from a 1975 Toyota pickup at the junkyard since finding a circular Koito original non-halogen headlight on anything is impossible now.

>rear Subaru emblem comes from a 1987 GL Wagon

>hard to see but not all centercaps are exactly the same, some have the textured center

>front plate comes from the early 80's when you bought your subaru new from the dealership

>and ofcourse the white stripe across the side, although i think it was an option?

Front corner light is cracked as its impossible to find one, just covered it with that film tape

Sometimes it makes me nervous having the mudflaps on the vehicle, would be a very sad day if i ever lost one

And the Wagon with the rest of the Subaru family, picture is alittle old so some things aren't current on the wagon.

-----One last thing, in the 5 years of driving in San Antonio TX, i have still yet to see anything Subaru older than 1995, its pretty lonely down here.. (oldest subaru seen driving around was a green 1995 Subaru impreza wagon)

thanks for reading!

-Omar

#31 biffanyus

biffanyus

78 Brat

• Members
  • 1,116 posts
  • West Palm Beach, FL

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

Looks awesome...

#32 Subasaurus

Subasaurus

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • San Antonio, Texas

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:08 PM

just realized theres nothing to compare to from old posts as the photo hosting has expired,

heres one of the first pictures of it from september 2015 when i was rescuing it. Wagon was abandoned from october ish 2001-September 2015.

1pf7l1.jpg

Edited by Subasaurus, 15 November 2017 - 05:09 PM.

#33 moosens

moosens

Vintage Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,887 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:32 PM

Very cool.
I’m guessing you have the four spoke steering wheel and a clock too?

Just went back and read , tachometer too. Lol

Edited by moosens, 13 November 2017 - 06:38 PM.

#34 sparkyboy

sparkyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • boulder Colorado

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:47 AM

Very cool story and awesome ride! You have some cool subarus indeed. Dogs love subarus! :-)

#35 Subasaurus

Subasaurus

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • San Antonio, Texas

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

Very cool.
I’m guessing you have the four spoke steering wheel and a clock too?

Just went back and read , tachometer too. Lol

yes, seems that the sideways 4 spoke steering wheel was only available in 79? or 79 and only in the GL? don't know my facts on that one. also the clock is a different brand than most of the other pictures i've seen with the analog clock on old Subarus, don't know my facts on that one either..

few more pictures below of the day i got her..

#36 Subasaurus

Subasaurus

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • San Antonio, Texas

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:01 PM

Fun fact: the wagon still had innertube tires when i replaced them!! suprisingly still held air in them after 15years+ didn't know the exact age of them as date stamp on tires wern't required yet in the 90's2vkf85k.jpg

guess something died in the back a long time ago, i ripped it all out including the plastic covers on the wheel wells, you could just poke your finger though the plastic, literally, it was toast...

15naeu1.jpg

94,000? 194,000? today i am at 3,905miles... still under warranty right?

ixut6b.jpg

Jeco Leco ieco Clock? and some hideous aftermarket radio! replaced it with an OEM Subaru one from an 89 wagon at a junkyard with that weather station channel on it, whatever model that one is, don't know, just looked cool.

2czpo5f.jpg

Back seat with a For Sale sign?? that throws me off so much, either the guy had just purchased it and sent it to a mechanic which was unable to find parts for it down here in pre-internet buying times or was gonna put it up for sale after he fixed it..

dc8tqd.jpg

Registration expired in 2002, interesting fact: Note the american flag below the registration and inspection, that comes from 9/11 when gas stations were handing those out and people sticking them on cars.

2gspr2s.jpg

a 1986 Subaru i still need to go back for as it has the Dual Range Manual tranny i've been looking for quite some time. at the same location where the yellow 79 wagon was at. probably has been sitting longer than the yellow one.

2lacytu.jpg

--The most difficult thing in getting this vehicle back on the road were the front brake calipers with the E-brake mechanism, now those were interesting to find!

those are all the pictures i still have of her on day 1, think there were a few more but oh well..

Edited by Subasaurus, 15 November 2017 - 05:21 PM.

#37 biffanyus

biffanyus

78 Brat

• Members
  • 1,116 posts
  • West Palm Beach, FL

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

Question??? How did you get the old rear bumper stickers off without messing up the chrome bumper?? Have one on my bumper I need to remove. looks like its been on there for 30 years or so...

#38 Subasaurus

Subasaurus

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • San Antonio, Texas

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:19 AM

Question??? How did you get the old rear bumper stickers off without messing up the chrome bumper?? Have one on my bumper I need to remove. looks like its been on there for 30 years or so...

not sure what the best way was but i used a combination of goo gone and evaporator cleaner for aluminum coils on A/C units, and ofcourse a razor blade and about 2 boring hours later got both stickers off, it ain't perfect in any means, take a look at the rear bumper of the car on the updated picture, you can still see the rectangles and underneath the stickers is shinier better condition chrome. my dad used to own a car lot in the 70's and 80's and told me to use aluminum foil and coke to shine up the bumpers and make it look even but haven't tried it yet, he said it worked pretty well but that was the old coke formula being used... but then again doesn't really bother me much either as it just make it more unique with every dent, scratch, paint faiding away and such.

#39 biffanyus

biffanyus

78 Brat

• Members
  • 1,116 posts
  • West Palm Beach, FL

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:29 PM

Ok thanks... I did the coke and foil thing on my Datsun front bumper due to surface rust and it took the rust off pretty good...

#40 Subasaurus

Subasaurus

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • San Antonio, Texas

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

Ok thanks... I did the coke and foil thing on my Datsun front bumper due to surface rust and it took the rust off pretty good...

thanks!!! i will definitely try it soon then!

#41 sparkyboy

sparkyboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • boulder Colorado

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:52 PM

A heat gun will make that a five minute job, a plastic razor blade if the sticker is all cracked, but heat up an edge and peel the sticker rigjt off

Edited by sparkyboy, 17 November 2017 - 10:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users