Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SOS Stuck away from home. Won't start.

2005 OB Automatic New Battery

Parked car after 10 minutes car wouldn't start.

In the past I occasionally had issues where I would have to jiggle the gear shifter to get it started but it always then started.

I don't know if this is the same issue or unrelated.

Am going back with a wire to jump from the battery to the starter solenoid to see if anything happens.

Would that work if the safety switch is shot or is there a relay I need to check (and how do I do that?)

Please don't let me misdirect with misinformation so any thoughts appreciated.

Same reason why kicking a mule works... sometimes...

Just coincidence I'm guessing. As far as I know the same switch is used for brake lamps, shift lock, and signaling the ECM to allow starting.

I assume the 05 requires the brake pedal to be pressed to start, but don't know for sure.

Maybe the shock jarred a relay into submission?

• Like 2

It really sucks when you can't start a car or have mechanical problems many miles from home.  AAA I guess is one option with high mileage vehicles like mine, but they are only limited to running out of gas, jump starting, and towing to your mechanic.  

loose or corroded ground wire?

jiggle keys

slap steering column

slam doors?

I dunno, the brake pedal thing is looking like a coincidence now but, it may mean there is an intermittent connection in the dash/console/ignition switch area....?

do you have 12V+ at the battery?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

car in commuter lot for next few hours. just a thouight but if the car restarts later after cooling down would that point to anything?

flooding or a sensor failing at temp - not sure either of those fit with prior symptoms, especially if it isn't cranking at all. Possible crank or cam position sensor - often though, those would set a code......?

OH - one thing!, try whacking the starter - light/medium taps with a hammer or a decent whack with a chunk of 2x4. But, if you don't hear any clicking when trying to start - can't be the solenoid contacts.

push-pull various battery cables and wire harnesses and re-try ?

just throwing out wild ideas here.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

do you hear a click? If you don't hear a click - then likely it's the safety start feature or an ignition switch or similar.

if you DO hear a click, could be the contacts in the solenoid on the starter. That's why whacking the starter sometimes works - the plunger shifts to a non-corroded bit of the contacts and you get enough current to spin the starter. No need to get a new starter - rebuild kits are common for the inside of the solenoid.

but an 05 is a little early - ...?, I guess it could depend on if it was regular driven lots of short trips ...maybe just weak parts... who knows?

If you think there's a chance that the brake button/solenoid/switch was the culprit before - then maybe that switch has finally failed?

What's the thing called so he can google it for symptoms, diagnosis, and work arounds?

Battery voltage is good?

Other possibilities - the first two here are extremely common, I have no idea how many times i've seen these:

1. Battery terminals dirty

2. Battery terminals loose

3. Starter cable is corroded internally - I've cut the sheathing back and found incredible amounts of corrosion running all up the cable even when nothing was visible externally - on vehicles where there was previous build up around the terminals - left too long I guess it also gets up into the cabling?

Subaru starter failure is rare but I'm sure it can happen. 

wanted to add: new battery I had sprayed lithium grease on terminals and that crap had melted and seeped down between the connectors and post but i had cleaned that off yesterday when this all started. I still think something is heating/expanding and malfunctions until cooled. just my opionion from the rowdy cheap seats!

very frustrating - fingers crossed found code points to a good possibility.

some older soobs have had crank position sensors flake out when warm. But they would still crank.  i read one STI owner that found some 'black stuff' on his crank sensor, cleaned it off, and the car started and ran better.

one guy found the small wire at the starter loose - just needed tightening.

lots of things to check.

Do you hear a click when trying to start?

Kinda sounding like starter contacts. Need to listen for a click from under the hood next time.

Maybe drive it around the block a few dozen times to heat it up and park it in the driveway and see if the problem recurrs immediately after parking, then again after 15-20 minutes sitting for a "heat soak".