Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SOS Stuck away from home. Won't start.

More time on my hands now. I decided to back track.

Had just started the car a few hours ago and it was still in the garage so I didn't think to try it then and there and just proceeded to remove the little push on connector from the ignition to the starter solenoid to play around with hot wiring so I can revisit juvenile hall when I am way over the hill ;-)

OK key off / plug disconnected, POS of battery jumped to spade plug on solenoid made crank. He thinks to himself, OK if you have a problem again, at least you can jump it with the key ON and start the car and limp home.

Great tell the wife "tada... all glory and honor be mine" Notice a little greening inside the connector and use my handy dental pick and scratch inside a little bit. Spade seems clean. Put connector back on and... no start, just click click click click. Dadgummit! OK nothing to tell the wife about here.

Push connector on and off a few times. nada.

Take a long solid 1/2" diameter solid plastic rod and wind it down atop the starter solenoid and give it a good tap with a hammer.

Turn key and it starts.

Sooooooooooo not wanting to carry hot wiring tool kit or a hammer to start the car, am I now looking at rebuilding the solenoid or is there more diagnosis to be done before wasting $10 on contacts?

Your click is the solenoid engaging, but the contacts are so worn they can't carry enough current for the starter motor to start turning.

Remove the starter and take the back cover off the solenoid and have a look at the contacts. You might be able to clean them up well enough to get you through the week until you get the new ones.

• Like 1

eBay usually has kits with Contacts and the solenoid core together. You may need to check which ones you have before ordering because the sizes/shapes differ.

There's also Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007FR1FT6/ref=pd_aw_sim_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1BKJF7B68C01P8N3T0DM

Edited by Fairtax4me

I know it's only a few bucks for the contacts but with 168K miles on the starter, are the brushes in the starter heading south as well?? Safer to just plug and play a new starter (more than a few bucks)?

So the click click click is the solenoid trying to move the plunger??

Then what does hitting the solenoid with a hammer do? (the mule analogy notwithstanding)

The hammer just persuades the plunger to make contact in a slightly different spot than before, which sometimes is a cleaner spot, which allows sufficient current to turn the starter motor.

The motors themselves are tough. Lots of people pop in new contacts and run another 100k or more on the original starter.

My 96 is about to roll 250k on the original starter.

you may be right if that's one of the Mitsubishi planetary starters - I guess I'm just not sure what you have there. (my 03 has denso, my 06 WRX has Mitsu.)

I have seen youtube videos on the plunger/contact rebuild.

here's a guide (you can find others)  with some pics; http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

if you can get one from a wreck (needs to be same transmission as your car) it likely would be OK - then, rebuild yours when you have time.

so, I guess you're pursuing this because it DOES click, but isn't always starting the car? - if so, yeah, from what I always read, that's most likely the plunger/contacts - some people have had to go deeper and clean carbon from the commutator (where the brushes ride)

From my discussion with the rebuilder (who seemed knowledgeable and checked his references) it appears on the model number I supplied that the access plate is furled over and you can't really get in to change the contacts.

this ebay seller has pics that accurately depict what I have http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STARTER-for-SUBARU-2-5-LEGACY-05-06-3-0-OUTBACK-05-07-TRIBECA-06-07-/171052737709

Second guessing myself, I went out to see if I could just start her right up... nada

Whacked it even harder than last time... nada

Had wife turn the key while I whacked on the solenoid... started right up.

It would appear I have one of those cars like in the olden days when someone turned the crank in front while someone else was in the driver's seat.

Pretty sure now the starter has gone bye bye.

BTW, the replacement will be on hand tomorrow at 7:30 AM

Now that's service. Local Subie dealer says they get parts from LKQ for insurance repairs and gives them the thumbs up.

$25 core charge "whenever" I return it.

I will be doing exploratory surgery on this "non-repairable" unit before turning it back in for credit.

Ahh it has that round solenoid that you can't do anything with. Those are no fun.

If you poke around enough sometimes you can get a whole replacement solenoid but usually it costs as much as a new(rebuilt) starter.

$50 is a decent deal for used. Only 2 local salvage yards in my area now and they both charge about $75 for a starter.

Must be the day for solenoids to go bad, just had to go rescue the wife at work.  One whack with the ball peen and it fired right up. Gonna go to Amazon and order a set.  I have an extra starter here but I can't remember what year I got it from or worse yet what trans....  Sucks getting old.

Must be the day for solenoids to go bad, just had to go rescue the wife at work.  One whack with the ball peen and it fired right up. Gonna go to Amazon and order a set.  I have an extra starter here but I can't remember what year I got it from or worse yet what trans....  Sucks getting old.

When I use to go to Harrys Upull I would go when they had sales on stuff like starers then buy three or 4 for parts $15 bucks plus the two entrance fee. It was nice living 15 minutes a way from it. West Virgina has no U pulls.

Edited by desertsubaru

Used part arrived beat to crap.

Need to return but while waiting to order orig from Subaru, decided to check one other thing.

Does it make sense that I am only getting 11.57 volts at the lead from the ignition to the solenoid?

12.5 on the battery

Edited by brus brother