Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SOS Stuck away from home. Won't start.

battery cables frequently have hidden corrosion in side - under the insulation. Years of 'wicking' acid-laden moisture inside. Sometimes the cables can be felt to get hot when the trying to start.

also, the 'other end of the circuit' can be part of the problem - the ground connection.

many of us refresh ground connections every-time we are under the hood and spot one. There are usually some on the firewall near the pitch-stopper mount, some on the intake manifolds, usually on one or both fenders. take em loose, wire brush every connection surface fron and bacl, even the bolt. fasten them back down . I like to then smear them with dielectric grease.

if the car has had lots of battery terminal corrosion in the past, or the cables get warm when starting - probably a new set of cables is called for.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Is that while cranking? If so, what is the battery voltage while cranking? There will usually be a loss of about a volt through that circuit when its in operation due to the length of the circuit.

If that's open circuit (unplugged) then something is definitely wrong.

I have replaced three starters in late 90's subarus with advanced auto remains.  No problems with them [although at first I thought one was defective but it turned out to be the wiring to the starter solenoid].

Of course, the starters in the 90's subarus are apparently different then in the 05's.  Just wanted to post to offset negative comments about the advanced auto starters.

Thanks to all.

Overpaid at soa for a reman denso but got the starter in. The lower nut was a real bear. Had to go at it through the wheel well with an offset wrench. Even the top bolt needed a breaker bar. WTH were they thinking about when tightening these things at the factory?

At least now I don't need to travel with a hammer in hand to start the car and I can just enjoy my cel (P0420)... my old friend.

Edited by brus brother