Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Loyale Turn Signal Flasher Problem

I have a 91 Loyale Wagon. One day my turn signal light came on but would not flash. Sounded simple, what I could find on the internet was it needed a new flasher switch thingy.  So far I have removed pretty much all the dash covers, steering covers and cannot find this little plug in part. I have owned this car since I drove it off the showroom floor, just spent a boat load of money on the suspension, brakes etc and cannot afford to have more work done on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry Dave, but if the front turnsiginal doesn't work, the dash indicator does, (or should), flash, but the flash will be rapid.

If a rear turnsiginal goes bad, dash indicator won't flash, but system will light the dash indicator.

Hearing the turnsiginal flasher click, but no dash indicator light, means the dash bulb is out.

That is a basic of all vehicles turnsignal systems. Been that way since the beginning, even with the separate rear brake/turn indicators.

I have yet to find anything to the contrary of it.

I guess the one that tricked me had some other thing out of whack a bit.  Like maybe the flasher was weak?  It's long gone now, due to rust.  But replacing the bulb in the bumper got it working again.

visual inspection of fuses and light bulbs is not guaranteed accurate.  I've seen plenty that look fine, but are open circuit.  Since the bulb lights, it is not burned out. 

This all did bring back to me, a though that went through my mind a while back - I don't remember the last time I had to replace one of these exterior bulbs.  Before I got my first EA82 GL, I remember them being a fairly common thing to have to replace periodically.

Sorry Dave, but if the front turnsiginal doesn't work, the dash indicator does, (or should), flash, but the flash will be rapid.

If a rear turnsiginal goes bad, dash indicator won't flash, but system will light the dash indicator.

Hearing the turnsiginal flasher click, but no dash indicator light, means the dash bulb is out.

That is a basic of all vehicles turnsignal systems. Been that way since the beginning, even with the separate rear brake/turn indicators.

I have yet to find anything to the contrary of it.

That might be the system in the US, but here, if one of the globes blow, then the system will start to flash faster. If a second one goes, then it flashes even faster again. Finally, if the 3rd globe goes (most of the world has the side yellow light in the front parkers as a turn signal), then it flashes so fast that it seems on.

The flasher relay is up in the dashboard. Way up. It's a nightmare to get to.

If your hazard lights still flash, turn them on and then listen for the relay clicking on and off. Good luck. I wanted to take the one out of my old GL before I got rid of it, but it's just about the only relay that is a BEAR to get to. I gave up. Sorry in advance.