Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Upgrading to power seat

Hi all. This is the first time I have posted here. My mother in law has a 2001 forester and wants to upgrade to a power front seat. Is this a possibility? Or would it be incredibly costly? Is there some aftermarket option? She loves her car but arthritis is her hands are making it hard for her to grab that lever. Thanks in advance.

First, check under the front carpet, to see if the wiring harness is already in place for heated-seats.

If so, that makes your project much simpler.

Then, I would search around for used heated-seats at junk-yards. You may find a wrecked car with almost new seats.

Good luck.

EDIT: Just reread the original post. You want to instal Power-seats, not Heated-seats.

That's a 'different kettle of fish'.

Edited by forester2002s

First, check under the front carpet, to see if the wiring harness is already in place for heated-seats.

If so, that makes your project much simpler.

Then, I would search around for used heated-seats at junk-yards. You may find a wrecked car with almost new seats.

Good luck.

I put heated seats into my 99 OBW. Don't think power seats were offered back then. I could not find wiring under the seat for a heated seat, so got the 2 front seats, and the wiring as well. Look first for wiring where the power seat control would be located. Forester seats sit taller then Legacy seats, so you are most likely to find seats that fit from another Forester.