Ultimate Subaru Message Board

it depends on a couple of things.

a 99 what?

the 99 obw or gt the answer is no, it will not swap.

they are phase 2 autop trans and the eletronics are different.

99 lego L , maybe, but it may be phase 2 as well,

and it is for sure a different final drive ratio.

so even if the electronics work,

you would need the matching rear diff to make it work.

so my best advice,

find a different donor trans.

you can use ANY auto trans 96 - 98 from an outback, forester, GT, or LSi.

in that order, the speedo will be off slightly with the GT or LSi due to different size tires.

none or the other ATs are plug and play.

Thank you very much for that Info. I will let the 99 slide by. I have to check a couple things as I do not think the car was acting this way prior to the head gasket replacement. But then I had not driven it more than a mile or two as it is my daughters outback. I definitely do not remember any shudder when I pulled it on the Uhaul transporter that I used to get it home. But when it quit on her it had the trans temp light on. When I got it home it had a bad head gasket. Head gasket is now fixed. Time to try and find a good used trans unless I luck into something simple. Time for me to get some sleep. working 13 hour nights this weekend. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well it has been a while since I posted here. I picked up the transmission and last week put it in the car. After adding fluids I found the front diff leaking through a crack in the bottom of the housing. After spending 3 hours playing phone tag I found out they had another 97 OBW trans in the yard. Pulled it out this morning and drove the hour to exchange it. It is now in the back of the truck in the driveway waiting for the rain to let up so I can change the seals and get it put in.

Well started on putting the new seals in the new used transmission. The tailshaft seal that I received was wrong so again I am delayed. Found an oil leak on the engine so I will pull it and fis it while everything else is out. Has anyone tried putting the engine and trans in from the top already together? Or is it better just to puy them back in one at a time.

is it possible,

yes.

is it practical ....

i would guess no but i have never done it.

imho,

from my ''never done it '' perspective,

you would be re-learning as you go.

but if you go back the way you came,

you already know what you need  to know.

i do think it would be easier to install the trans from above.

since you have the hoist, use it.

OR slide it in place from below,

and then lift it from above with the hoist.

this would seem to simplify the lifting in to place process.

or at least one end of it.

Great job, hope the test drive went well.

I noticed you have:

1986 Dodge D150 short bed 225 slant 6 4 Speed 407,600 Miles

That is an amazing amount of miles! I had a 1980 Dodge D150 long bed, same drivetrain, Sure wish I still had that truck.

Had a pretty good oil leak from the engine on the test drive. It appears to have been coming through the right lower front cam block. Front main seal started leaking some too. Engine is back out and waiting for the seal to come in. The old Dodge is up to 409,000 now but not the highest mileage Dodge I have owned. My old 90 B 250 had 590,000 on the original 318 when I retired it...

• 1 month later...

Well it has been a while since I posted here but the car has been back together for a while. Turned out to be several leaks. Ended up with new front crank seal oil pressure sender and repairing some marginal threads on the right side valve cover bolts. The car still had a shake at 70 that gradually became a shake at 50 and a smoking left front wheel. My daughter had the car home this weekend and that is also fixed now. Left front caliper was sticking. Replaced both front calipers, rotors and brake hoses. No more shake, Much better acceleration and stopping. I had to diagnose the smoking wheel without looking at the car so I had ordered the hoses just in case that was the problem. They weren't but they were cheap enough to go ahead and put on when changing the calipers and rotors. I have seen plenty of brake hoses cause a caliper to stay locked over the years.

• 6 months later...

Well in December  the used trans started blowing trans fluid into the front diff. I got my money back for the used trans as it was under warranty and they did not have another. Today I picked up what I was told was a 97 Outback wagon and the production date is 11/97 but it is a 98 outback limited. The transmission code has one different digit. The 97 has a TZ102Z2CBA and the 98 donor is a TZ102Z2DBA. Will these interchange? If not I have the complete 98 as a donor and what else might have to be changed? Any help is appreciated. I start the swap on Monday so I have a couple days to figure out what is needed. Thanks 

Never mind, Enough searching on google hooked me up with a 9 year old thread on here. According to it the 98 will work with the 97.. WooHooo.

Hopefully the old thread is correct. Here is a link. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/72953-4eat-transmission-interchange/. It was started in 07 and revived in 09. I am glad that this forum keeps the old pages available.

too late but yes you can install the engine and trans together at the same time, i've done it even on piggy H6's with auto's.    need a little more space to maneuver the lump in the air.

Not too late Gary. A lot of projects going on..... I will be pulling the donor cars engine and trans together. I figure it might be easier to split out of the car. 

I have to move the Motorhome out of the way to get the donor side by side with the daughters car. I will be pulling every good part out of the donor (none of the body) and my outback may be getting the donors leather interior.