Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 loyale bad head gaskets?

There are a few ways to loose coolant. Intake manifold gaskets. The o ring between the intake manifold and the throttle body. And head gaskets. A crack in a head. If there are air bubbles continuously coming out of the radiator, that's a blown headgasket. The others can leak into the engine or exhaust or to the exterior. Depending on the quantity, it can be hard to see because it evaporates. Head gaskets can also leak coolant out the side.

There are a few ways to loose coolant. Intake manifold gaskets. The o ring between the intake manifold and the throttle body. And head gaskets. A crack in a head. If there are air bubbles continuously coming out of the radiator, that's a blown headgasket. The others can leak into the engine or exhaust or to the exterior. Depending on the quantity, it can be hard to see because it evaporates. Head gaskets can also leak coolant out the side.

Well I just turned my cat on with the radiator cap off and it's not bubbling I hope it's just the intake manifold gasket if anything more serious.

In my experience, the most common cause of coolant getting into the intake, is the intake manifold gaskets.

Before any drives, check cooant, top off if needed. Watch the recovery bottle also. If it appears to gain coolant - after cooled back down - that's a sign of headgasket getting ready to fail.

In my experience, the most common cause of coolant getting into the intake, is the intake manifold gaskets.

Before any drives, check cooant, top off if needed. Watch the recovery bottle also. If it appears to gain coolant - after cooled back down - that's a sign of headgasket getting ready to fail.

So if I drive my car and the overflow for the coolent rises I most likely have a bad head gasket?

In the search for hard to find coolant leaks, I've found that darkness and a decent flashlight works wonders.

Get the engine up to operating temp, shine the flashlight around looking for steam, try to narrow down where it's coming from.

You can un-plug the electric fan, remove belt driven fan, if need be to eliminate the air flow from them. Just don't let it get to hot while doing the search.

And no. A blown head gasket doesn't mean steam out the exhaust, or coolant in the oil. Many different ways a head gasket can blow out.

Loose intake manifold bolts to the cylinder heads, allows coolant to get into the combustion chamber and it to get pushed out through the exhaust.  Loose cylinder head bolts general puts pressure on the coolant system and blows it out the water bottle when you idle or stop, and leaves black residue in water bottle and residue under the radiator cap.  A crack in the cylinder head at the exhaust port or a crack in the turbo, allows coolant in the exhaust that comes out the exhaust as white smoke.