Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Welded diff people.....

Hey Welded diff people,

How are you keeping the dust and dirt out of the stub/cup area when your not running an axle? Like in the city etc...

I'm sure someone has dealt with this concept....

I could figure something out but I'm sure someone else has already figured out something that works and I don't want to re-invent the wheel (just make it climb better).

I'm just concerned about grime getting in the grease where my axle should be when it's not installed.

Thoughts, Inventions?

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer, welded diff

01 Forester, LSD

Tell me more about this cap? What was it's intended use? What kind/type of store is it this Big R? Hardware/plumbing/novelty?

Thanks!

The intended use is to cap the open end of tube, like the feet on a folding chair, cruches, step laders, bar stools, ect.

They have them that will fit over the air quick conects that I use on my on-board air sys. too

:brow:

Big-R- is hardware/farm suply store. But I have seen similar things @ Lowe's before too.

I'm not so worried about crap getting in the grease while I'm on the street, it's the fender deep mud and water that gets around the dust shield while off-road. But I don't really worry about that either, I'ts never caused me any grief. The seals do a pretty good job keeping the grease in and the grime out. If your rig sees alot of miles, yearly bearing re-greasing dosent hurt.

i never worried about it. it's not really a problem at all. all i did was lube the stub and the axle with a light lubricant ever so often to make installation and removal a snap. other than that i wouldn't worry about it. just don't go trapsing in to the mud that much with out the axle. but even then i did that and the axles still aren't leaking.

Jared