Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Welded diff people.....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:05 PM

Hey Welded diff people,

How are you keeping the dust and dirt out of the stub/cup area when your not running an axle? Like in the city etc...

I'm sure someone has dealt with this concept....
I could figure something out but I'm sure someone else has already figured out something that works and I don't want to re-invent the wheel (just make it climb better).

I'm just concerned about grime getting in the grease where my axle should be when it's not installed.

Thoughts, Inventions?
Glenn
82 SubaruHummer, welded diff
01 Forester, LSD

#2 ThreeEyedBandit

ThreeEyedBandit

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Central Point Or

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:16 PM

There is a place around here that sells little assorted caps, so just went and got one the right size and solved that. O-yea the place around here is called 'Big-R'

Matt

#3 soobme

soobme

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,871 posts
  • Medford OR

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:39 PM

Yup! They sell caps (for the end of tube, chair feet ect.) in black and white rubber, all diferent dia. It toulk me a few tries but I got just the right size and they work GREAT!

#4 Sweet82

Sweet82

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:41 PM

Tell me more about this cap? What was it's intended use? What kind/type of store is it this Big R? Hardware/plumbing/novelty?

Thanks!

#5 75skunkaroo

75skunkaroo

Gimmie Shock Treatment

• Members
  • 587 posts
  • Central Point Or.

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:43 PM

big r is like a farm supply place, but they have so much neat stuff it's cool

-mike

#6 soobme

soobme

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,871 posts
  • Medford OR

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:06 PM

Tell me more about this cap? What was it's intended use? What kind/type of store is it this Big R? Hardware/plumbing/novelty?

Thanks!

The intended use is to cap the open end of tube, like the feet on a folding chair, cruches, step laders, bar stools, ect.
They have them that will fit over the air quick conects that I use on my on-board air sys. too
:brow:
Big-R- is hardware/farm suply store. But I have seen similar things @ Lowe's before too.

#7 ru4x4ever

ru4x4ever

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 28 May 2004 - 03:43 PM

Toni, Matt
Ididnt know of that little jobber there, we will have to weld mine up then :banana:
-Sean

#8 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 28 May 2004 - 04:46 PM

I don't use anything - never had a problem.

GD

#9 Bugaru

Bugaru

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 161 posts
  • SOCAL

Posted 28 May 2004 - 09:35 PM

I'm not so worried about crap getting in the grease while I'm on the street, it's the fender deep mud and water that gets around the dust shield while off-road. But I don't really worry about that either, I'ts never caused me any grief. The seals do a pretty good job keeping the grease in and the grime out. If your rig sees alot of miles, yearly bearing re-greasing dosent hurt.

#10 Rooinater

Rooinater

Official Thread Killer...

• Members
  • 2,285 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:16 PM

i never worried about it. it's not really a problem at all. all i did was lube the stub and the axle with a light lubricant ever so often to make installation and removal a snap. other than that i wouldn't worry about it. just don't go trapsing in to the mud that much with out the axle. but even then i did that and the axles still aren't leaking.

Jared

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users