Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to look for in a 2002 WRX used wagon?

Hi All,

I'm really excited about getting a WRX wagon or just mildly excited about getting the TS Wagon.. Costs will ultimately control my decision.

But, What should I look for in a used WRX? tell tail signs of problem.. or blown turbo's..

I know nothing about subaru, and turbos..

I need to run down of WRX issues and problems.. so I know what to avoid.

Thanks alot.

The only real problem about a WRX is there trannie, when its a manule. The trannie only goes out really when people abuse them, by doing clutch drops, and power shifting, if the owner dosent abuse the trannie it should be fine. I would try to find a owner that wouldent abuse there car, i wouldent buy one from a tennager, or a a person who has done some modifications to there car, just becasue they would seem to have a higher chance of abusing it. Also the rear wheel bearings go out, but you can replace them with better ones that do not seem to have the same problem. I think subaru started to use the better rear wheel bearing after 2002 (not really sure on which year).

Thanks..

the one I was looking at is a automatic.. from what I've been reading, only the trannie is a major weakness..

I'm off to the dealership now.. hope for the best.. trading in my Integra..

I personally would not buy a used WRX. About 80% chance that the car has not been taken care of, or at least driven very hard. If you drive like crap, launching the car at 4k, slamming the gears around, etc. etc. yes the trannies will break...

An auto isn't necessarily a good decision either. The WRX engine is so unfit for an auto it isn't funny. Reviews say the AT can never decide on a proper gear, and most of the time you're stuck off-boost growing impatient.

I purchased one already.. it drove great, and had pretty good power once the tach hits above 3k.. I hit 190km/h during the test drive, and it felt like I was cruising at 100km/h.. but before 3k, it's mush.. I think I got a good deal.. at $18500 Can.. it had a life of synthetic oil, and fully subaru service records. and it still had power train warrenty on it, so I figure that would at least cover any major problems..

I hope I had the right choice.. This is the only way I could afford one, otherwise it would be out of reach at $36000k new.

it was a 2002 wrx wagon auto... don't pick it up until next week.. in the mean while, I have to take off some of my stuff from my Teg.

any idea what I need to do first to the car.. it is completly stock.

it was a 2002 wrx wagon auto... don't pick it up until next week.. in the mean while, I have to take off some of my stuff from my Teg.

any idea what I need to do first to the car.. it is completly stock.

FIRST- TURBO TIMER!!! Maintainance/longevity before speed.

Second- Suspension/swaybars (if it's stock WRX suspension they feel kinda cushy and alot of body roll IMO)

Third- Brakes... At the very least get some stainless lines, upgraded pads, and some decent (DOT 4 or up) brake fluid in there!

Fourth- get some decent sticky tires then... Go auto-x the car... being a new car for you, this should help familiarize yourself with a car that has totally different charachtoristics than an integra. Losing controll of the car on the truck doesn't suck nearly as bad as the street.

I'm feeling the same when I got my first teg 8 years ago... lots of little mods to look into..

The car did feel like it had some body roll at highway speeds changing lanes..

I have lots to learn from this board...

I was dissapointed that it didn't come with a boost gauge!! do I need one?

What kind of special attention do I have to give for a turbo?

I'm feeling the same when I got my first teg 8 years ago... lots of little mods to look into..

The car did feel like it had some body roll at highway speeds changing lanes..

I have lots to learn from this board...

I was dissapointed that it didn't come with a boost gauge!! do I need one?

What kind of special attention do I have to give for a turbo?

Boost gauge's aren't really necessary until you start modifying... with a stock motor running stock boost pressure it's kind of pointless. BUT, once you start mucking around with things you'll want one, and they're relatively inexpensive... so it couldn't hurt to throw one in there. Stock boost gauges on most cars that come with them *cough* 300ZX *cough* are really innacurate and would need replacing once you modify anyways. But as I mentioned in my last post... suspension/brakes are first, then power.

As for special attention for your turbo... compared to a N/A car. Change the oil regularly. (how many miles are on your motor?) Switch to a synthetic oil... mobil 1 and Redline is what I use. And maintain as necessary. It's really not all that much different. Be sure to (if you can) let the car warm up before leaving in the mornings, and when you park the car after driving (ESPECIALLY if driving hard) let it idle for 1-3 minutes before turning it off.

(which is what a turbo timer will do for you, so you don't have to sit in your car and wait)