Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 4 Speed Dual Range Shifter Bushings PLEASE HELP

Hello,

I've read a few posts about fixing shifter slop on a 4 speed D/R transmission.  I used the tap method to change the roll pin to a 3/8 bolt.  Worked great, thank you.  Before I put the trans back in my car (just swapped due to synchro probs with a junkyard unit), I wanted to tighten everything else up.  I've seen multiple posts stating that the bushings are still available from the dealer.  I am specifically looking for the bushings where the shfiter attaches to the shift mechanism and a bushing at the bottom
where the bottom of the shift rod anchors and pivots.  I called a few local dealers here in CT and they dont list any parts prior to 1989.

Do you have any info on who I can call to get these parts?  Part numbers?

My car is a 81 GL wagon 4 speed D/R, trans is from an 84 (exact match)

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thank you.

Chris Lantieri

Hebron, CT

Last time I did mine they were in stock at Subaru, I would assume the same with higher stock levels in America, You just need to find a parts person who can read and still has the old paper parts manuals as I know they did not put the early stuff into the online computer listings though they do have the parts if you know the numbers, How frustrating.

I have a pdf of the engine parts manual surely somewhere somebody has a copy of the parts book for the body and ancilliaries in pdf format to download.

• Like 1

GDs tap n bolt trick will fix 90% of the slop. You could easily rig up replacements for the shift shaft bushings after a trip to the hardware store.

Seems SOAs system simply calls the parts bushings, some of this stuff is still available via Subaru and third parties.

Some google-ing of these p/ns will get you close to what you need. Thanks plucky from ausubaru for these numbers.

post-16651-0-53165200-1442675319_thumb.jpg

Shift shaft to lever:

Rubber bushings 733229010

Nylon 633124170

Sleeve 633042030

"Ball joint pivot" bottom of lever:

Boot 631504021

Bushing 733146090

Parts for the lower "ball joint" pivot seem semi extinct.

Chris your still around!?

Sorry no help with ur questions but glad to see your still out there.

-Sam

Haha!  Great to hear from you Sam.  Yes, I'm still around.  Back on the east coast, moved back in 2008.  I get bit by the Subaru bug every couple of years.  I finally found a decent wagon and I think I'll be holding on to this one!  Thanks so much for the information.  I will let you know how the search for bushings works out.  I did make some in the mean time, but i figured if I can still get them, a spare set wouldn't hurt!

Thanks again guys for the responses!

I am unable to do links.

Go to the Repair Manual forum on here, then the Transmission/axle/brakes section.

"Tech tip-EA81 4-speed sloppy shifter bushing fix", by pressingonwards.

He has a good write-up on hardware store items for the upper shifter bushing.

Thank you, i actually used that one and made my own for now.  If I can get an OEM set for spares, even better!