Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Prevention saves lots of headaches;  like hindsight, knowing how you could have prevented a breakdown is tough to think about.  Keep your eye on all the fluids, don't over-stress the car, high speeds and towing trailers are major stressors.  Usually there is a trigger for mechanical problems.  I can't believe all the headgasket issues just happened as normal wear and tear.  Maybe someone worked on it who was careless or having a bad day.

In general those vehicles easily make 150,000 miles without many issues.

headgaskets are the one glaring issue on that particular engine.  the only symptom is random overheating.  But there is absolutely no way to predict mileage the headgasket will fail on that car - they are completely random.  Anyone that guesses a mileage simply doesn't know that engine very well.  They were blowing under warranty at 20,000 miles when they were new, most people now just weren't' around then to know that.

it might fail next week - it might run 200,000 miles without issue. 

Complete timing kit, serpentine belts, battery are good ideas to prevent being stranded, which tend to give people bad feelings about a car.

i like a thorough brake overhaul as well - new pad clips, boots if needed and clean and regrease the pins.  That's easy for me and maybe expensive or hard to find a mechanic to do a thorough job.

It seems early for the timing belt/water pump, minimum $400 job in most parts, I was quoted up to $800.  When they replaced the water pump the timing belt had little wear on it so it was not replaced but the gaskets were melted, not a good sign.  When the timing belt snaps it is tow truck city.  I don't know if age causes any wear or degradation.

Timing Belt:

The timing belts need replaced because they're ancient by now - and because the pulleys are probably low on grease too. 

Complete Gates kits are on Amazon - great deal for belt, pulleys, and tensioner.

Here's the kit with water pump:

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-TCKWP277A-Engine-Timing-Water/dp/B0033DMFI6

You don't really need the water pump though - they very, very rarely fail.  If they do - they just leak and you get it repaired in those odd cases.
I would replace it - but if money is tight it's not a big deal to skip it.  Without water pump:

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-TCK277A-Timing-Belt-Kit/dp/B0033DGU1Y/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1442588520&sr=1-4&keywords=Gates+1999+Subaru+timing+kit

It'll cost $250 - $500 to have it installed depending on your local area/mechanics.

In time it would be good to change the transmission fluid, front differential fluid. 
Spark plugs and wires are wise too - but in reality you'll get a check engine light and cylinder misfire when they start to age.

Headgaskets cost about $1,500 - $2,000 to repair, but just keep driving and worry about that if it happens.

Edited by grossgary

Evergreen on Amazon is a fine brand as well, but if you buy the kit with a water pump get the one with an Aisin water pump.

If the cam seals are not being replaced the whole job should be less than 2 hours.  If the cam seals are being replaced figure 3 hours or so.

Look around at the labor rates in your town to get an idea of cost.  If anyone is quoting more than 2 hours to do the belt, or 3 hours w/ cam pulleys, go somewhere else.  A good mechanic should be able to do either of those in about 30 minutes less time (1 1/2 hours for a belt, 2 1/2 hours w/ cam pulley seals).

Your due for a coolant change as well as a brake fluid change along with spark plugs.  I would also consider spark plug wires while doing plugs, air filter, and fuel filter.

got a question i've been wondering for a while, when you replace the head gaskets on that Subaru engine (EJ25 i think) could it still fail due to the cooling design of the engine or once you replace the OEM head gaskets you're good to go just like any other Subaru engine?

just incase i buy a late 90s Subaru someday..

thanks.

Edited by Subasaurus

My concern would actually be the low miles.... 60K means the car likely had lots of little short trips  I'd have more confidence in a car with twice that.  I would just do the timing kit for now because if the belt breaks your engine is toast.  Hopefully the head gaskets will be good for a while, but as mentioned above, you really never know when they will go.

• 2 weeks later...

A big thank you to all respondents.

Picked up the car today after a new timing belt and water pump was installed. The mechanic said

the old belt was on its last legs and whover recommended replacing it now was giving good advice.

You can get close to "catastrophic engine damage" without realizing it.

The same mechanic replaced the brakes and advised bringing the car back around 70,000 miles

for spark plugs and wiring overhaul.

The owner of a local Grease N Go who i believe was a former Subaru exec flushed the radiator and 

changed transmission and diff fluids.

Car runs quieter and smoother and next week gets new tires, BFGoodrich Travelers.

As a cancer patient I need reliable transportation and you all have contributed to that.

Life saving advice indeed.

when you replace the head gaskets on that Subaru engine (EJ25 i think) could it still fail due to the cooling design of the engine or once you replace the OEM head gaskets you're good to go just like any other Subaru engine?

just incase i buy a late 90s Subaru someday..

thanks.

If the best gaskets you can get are used and the heads are resurfaced the success rates are really high, you can expect to never replace them again.

That said, they can fail a second time, the DOHC EJ25's (96-99 legacy and outback and 98 RS and forester) are probably the worst, but it's rare and unlikely to happen to someone around one or just a few head gasket jobs.

• Like 1

Good luck being a patient, hope you've got good people and resources there too.

A big thank you to all respondents.

Picked up the car today after a new timing belt and water pump was installed. The mechanic said

the old belt was on its last legs and whover recommended replacing it now was giving good advice.

You can get close to "catastrophic engine damage" without realizing it.

The same mechanic replaced the brakes and advised bringing the car back around 70,000 miles

for spark plugs and wiring overhaul.

The owner of a local Grease N Go who i believe was a former Subaru exec flushed the radiator and 

changed transmission and diff fluids.

Car runs quieter and smoother and next week gets new tires, BFGoodrich Travelers.

As a cancer patient I need reliable transportation and you all have contributed to that.

Life saving advice indeed.

Good job getting it done.

"wiring overhaul" - i assume that means spark plug wires?

In a sense you can wait for those if there's a compelling reason for you - they'll eventually give you a check engine light when they're performance is out of range and they won't leave you stranded.

If the best gaskets you can get are used and the heads are resurfaced the success rates are really high, you can expect to never replace them again.

That said, they can fail a second time, the DOHC EJ25's (96-99 legacy and outback and 98 RS and forester) are probably the worst, but it's rare and unlikely to happen to someone around one or just a few head gasket jobs.

thanks grossgary for clearing that up.