Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do you test continuity across large distances, i.e. my meter only reaches 2 feet...

idosubaru

My multimeter has 2 foot or less reach with the two probes.

What are some good electrical testing equipment/tools/devices for testing for continuity across large distances?

How do you guys test from the trunk to the engine bay or even interior to engine bay with a multimeter?

1. There has to be a simple kit, tool, or something for this right?

2.  Are there thinner pinned probes for getting into harnesses a little easier?

I've made all the extensions out of wiring and jumper cables, but surely there's a simpler way?

Power probe, once you use it once you'll never go back. Comes with 20ft of leads and can either clip to the battery or plug into the ciggartet ligbter. It can test and provide power or ground with the push of a button. Check it out really cool tool very handy for troubleshooting electrical problems

• 1 month later...

Power probes are useful, but I wouldn't consider one to be practical unless you do electrical repairs on a daily basis. Id like to buy one, but at $179, I can do all the same things with a $30 multimeter and $30 worth of wire and some switches/relays.

How to get from the hood to the trunk... Long jumper wires.

Go buy a couple spools of wire. 12 guage is usually more than sufficient. One red, one black to match the meter, or whatever colors you prefer if it makes it easier for you. Sometimes you need 3-4 wires, but not often.

Cut about 18 foot sections of each. Put some insulated spade connectors on each end, then make short sections maybe 6"-1' each with various other types of crimp terminals, and one set with alligator clips for each wire.

Also buy a single 30 amp fuse holder (one with the wires already on it) and make sure to use that with a properly rated fuse if you ever need to run power straight from the battery to the rear of the car. Match the fuse that you use at the time to the fuse size that particular circuit should normally use. For instance, don't use a 30 amp fuse for a circuit that might only normally require a 7.5 amp fuse, and vice versa.

• Haha 1

Power probes are useful, but I wouldn't consider one to be practical unless you do electrical repairs on a daily basis. Id like to buy one, but at $179, I can do all the same things with a $30 multimeter and $30 worth of wire and some switches/relays.

I actually made a power probe with a test light and some switches, it cost me about $5 to make since I was able to repurposed most of the parts. I'll see if I can post a couple picks and a description. A power probe is a very handy tool, even my homemade one is very handy

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I actually made a power probe with a test light and some switches, it cost me about $5 to make since I was able to repurposed most of the parts. I'll see if I can post a couple picks and a description. A power probe is a very handy tool, even my homemade one is very handy

Alright man, it's been just about a year now. How many pictures are you taking!?

If its a short in the circuit buried in a taped loom an ammeter like this together with a signal flasher & small lamp in series works for finding the short between wires. The meter needle will stop swinging back & forth when you've passed the short in the wire pair. Interrupt the circuit between the control switch(reverse light switch for instance) with the flasher relay/lamp then move the ammeter along the harness until you find the short.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321985103947?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Helps diagnose a failing starter too.

Edited by czny

If its a short in the circuit buried in a taped loom an ammeter like this together with a signal flasher & small lamp in series works for finding the short between wires. The meter needle will stop swinging back & forth when you've passed the short in the wire pair. Interrupt the circuit between the control switch(reverse light switch for instance) with the flasher relay/lamp then move the ammeter along the harness until you find the short.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321985103947?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Helps diagnose a failing starter too.

nifty.  I almost understand that but get a little lost with wording....series, wire pair, interrupt, control switch, flasher relay - those words have some ambiguity for me, i'm like middle school electrically....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

nifty.  I almost understand that but get a little lost with wording....series, wire pair, interrupt, control switch, flasher relay - those words have some ambiguity for me, i'm like middle school electrically....

It's really not that complicated. Looking for a short between circuits or to ground directly you move the meter along the harness until the meter stops. Putting the flasher/lamp assembly in the powered circuit allows you to see the meter swing when the circuit makes & breaks. Its figuring which circuit wiring to open up for the flasher/lamp. Having worked with old British & American wiring when the insulation becomes faulty causing shorts is where I learned this trick. Included some diagrams to help you grossgary. ;)

Here's a vintage meter for you........http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Vintag-Sears-Starter-Current-DC-Amperes-Meter-Guage-Nice-Condition-Original-/152213203453?hash=item23709d29fd:g:ugAAAOSwIgNXuQeE&vxp=mtr

Here's the new version of that tester:

http://www.gearwrench.com/auto-specialty/battery-ignition-electrical/gearwrench-2524d-short-circuit-detector.html

Alternate product:

https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-25300-Circuit-Detector/dp/B000RFOP1I/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk/161-9069080-3861028

Short tester.pdf

Edited by czny