Ultimate Subaru Message Board

it needs a tune up and wheel bearings.  no big deal.

1.  Timing kit first - if that fails the valves will get bent.   Gates kits are only $130 on amazon for a complete belt and tensioner and pulleys.  Do that and it's good for another 100,000.

Any wet seals (cam, crank, oil pump) should be replaced while the belt is off - they're only $7 each.  Most of us just replacing them all while we're in there, but if you're paying labor you might not want to.

2.  Repair THE bad wheel bearing, do not replace them in pairs or all four.  Start a thread if you can't diagnose which one it is. 

3.  Alignment and wheels balanced can wait depending on tire condition, but not a big deal anyway - i mean every car needs tires and alignments.

4.  "full service and tune up" - this should scare you.  Or the dealer/mechanic that told you that should scare you.

You can work on that as time goes on but in general you should never pay for ambiguity like "100,000 miles service" or "Tune up" or "Full service"....those are marketing gimmicks designed to give as much access as possible to your wallet.

Change the transmission and front diff fluid sometime soon - those are by far the most important.  The rest can wait and aren't a big deal.

Spark plugs and wires and PCV valve would be wise sometimes in the near future but you'll get a clyidner misfire and check engine light when the plugs/wires are bad so you can always wait until that happens if you're "in over your head" - it won't cause any issues.

• Like 1

Those are press in so your looking at a hefty chunk of labor if you have a shop do it.  And you would definitely want to be sure of which one is bad so you aren't paying for all 4.

Did you get any service records with this?  If not I would pull a carfax and see if any of the service was reported.  It might be a lot easier on your wallet if you find out the timing belt was done 10k miles ago or something.  

I'm almost positive it hasn't been done. It has 42k miles. Pulleys are stock, as is the water pump. They're old. The shop in town is doing the whole shebang for $400. I'm okay with that.

Does anyone have a parts# for hotbits coil overs to lift this thing? I did a search, and came up with nothing. Their website didn't show anything for lifting an 01 forester.

I was gonna rock the sjr lift, but it needs new shocks anyway. Wanting to get this done before I get my alignment/balance. Any help is appreciated.

$187 for timing belt kit with pulleys and water pump on Amazon purchased. Didn't see any $120 ones......

Total repairs including wet seals, all fluids, and balanced tires is gonna be around $650. But, he's gonna get it done Thursday while I'm at work, it'll be done right, and I can do a tune up after hunting season. If football's not on. And fish aren't biting.

Still haven't decided about the lift. I need new struts. At that time I'll get an alignment.

Need a skid plate bad!

gotcha - i forget the DOHC belts are more expensive.  the other belt kits are $50 or more less.

have him tighten the oil pump backing plate screws if he's resealing the oil pump - one or more are always loose by now.

An '01 should be an SOHC engine unless.  The only foresters to come with a DOHC were the '98.