Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Not sure what to get

Never owned a Subaru and I'm wanting to pay cash. I'll have 3k or so to pay but I'm not sure what to get.

I like to mod. Prolly do a few things on the exterior and maybe wheels but mainly motor. I want a manual and after watching reviews of Subaru's, they seem easy to drive... Which is great because I'll need to teach my wife. I'll eventually need to swap the clutch out because I want to get 400awhp out of whatever it is I buy.

So if you all could point me to a car (I'm all new to Subaru and don't know anything about them), what would you guys suggest.

I want...

4cylinder, manual, wagon or hatch, fairly new, turbo, easy to mod, and no all road cars.

I'm on the fence on getting an Audi a4 because I can't seem to find a Subaru. Found some in Japan that I'd import to america but I've never done that and kinda scared to

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the USMB.

Well since the WRX & STi are no longer offered in a hatch then you'll have to get a used one when they still offered a hatch version.  That's about the only thing that will give you the HP goals you want to get unless you want to do a motor swap and lots of other work.

BTW, to get 400 awhp, you'll need at least 450 hp at the crank.  Not to discourage you, but to get those numbers you will need to invest decent amount of money into the car.

Welcome to the USMB.

Well since the WRX & STi are no longer offered in a hatch then you'll have to get a used one when they still offered a hatch version.  That's about the only thing that will give you the HP goals you want to get unless you want to do a motor swap and lots of other work.

BTW, to get 400 awhp, you'll need at least 450 hp at the crank.  Not to discourage you, but to get those numbers you will need to invest decent amount of money into the car.

yes, a motor swap will be a thing and rods will be put in. also, im looking to buy used. i honestly know very little about subarus but ive always liked them from afar. ive been doing some reading and see some people are modding the foresters up a bit. im in no rush to get a car but after buying my last car... vw gti, i want to do more reading before i buy. 

my top picks are legacy at the top, then outback, then forester, and lastly a wrx hatch (want something bigger).