Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nissan throwout bearing? XT6 clutch kit and 4 speed DR trans with an EJ22 swap

musubk

Hi all. I'm in what I hope are the final stages of my EJ22 swap in my 1986 BRAT. For now I'm going to be running the original 4 speed MT, and based on advice I've read here, I used an XT6 clutch disc and pressure plate mated to my EA81 flywheel redrilled for the EJ pattern. I got all that bolted up today and was ready to drop the engine in for the first time, but stumbled when I went to pop the new throwout bearing in place. Based on what I read here, I ordered a throwout bearing for a Nissan 720 pickup, and I can see the original EA81 TO bearing isn't large enough to properly work the XT6 pressure plate. What confused me is that the Nissan TO bearing doesn't fit snug around the transmission input shaft, its inner diameter is a bit larger than the EA81 TO bearing. Is this they way it's supposed to fit? I'm thinking that may be okay because the bearing would basically be self-centering once it's against the pressure plate but I just wanted to make sure this is how it's supposed to fit.

Well for anyone who finds this thread in the future because they have the same setup and their clutch isn't engaging, looking at the clutch alignment tools I got with the EA81 kit and the XT6 kit, it's obvious that the XT6 input shaft is larger than the EA81 input shaft, so using the XT6 clutch disc means it's not mating to the EA81 shaft, and that's the source of my clutch non-engagement problems. I'll update again once I get the right clutch disc in it.

Edited by musubk

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, that's it. My setup is redrilled EA81 flywheel, EA81 clutch disc, XT6 pressure plate, 720 throwout bearing, and the 4 speed DR. It shifts and drives just fine.

By the way, thank you so much for your EA2EJ.pdf document! This was my first engine swap, and my BRAT runs beautifully now on it's new EJ22  :D

Edited by musubk
  • Like 1