Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT won't crank.....

Hey all, I finally found this place again. I have an 88DL, 89GL and just aquired an 85 XTGL with MPFI EA82. It has been sitting for about 8 years and did not run when it was parked.

I started troubleshooting it today and found it to have a fuel delivery problem. I can pour a little gas down it's throat and it runs great till it's gone. I had no fuel at the filter and traced the problem to the pump not running. No voltage is present at the pump. I hotwired the pump and it STILL did not work:banghead: So, I replaced the pump and hot wired IT.....now I have fuel flow at the injectors, but it still does not run. I say the injectors are not pulsing. Looking at the POS wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual, the dropping resistor for the injectors and power to the fuel pump relay come from the MPFI control box.

Agree? Also, where is the fuel pump relay and dropping resistor on a 1985 XT?

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

-RE-

roundeye,

welcome, or welcome back.

just to let you know, i'm in the same boat :banghead:

I don't know what to tell you but I'm at the same wall. Fuel to the injectors but it seems they don't squirt.

sorry for the lack of advice but you're not alone on this one.

garner

I have 2 SPFI cars that work great and parted out another tornado-ravaged SPFI car and they all run good. I drove a carbed Subie for years and it too ran perfect. I'm not too impressed with the MPFI $#!T right now. Someone PLEASE change my mind!

Maybe someone can help us?

do you have spark? the coil and the fuel pump work from a signal from the distributor.

plug the green test clips under the dash together, and the fuel pump will cycle on and off,

the coolant temp sensor for the ecu is a common nuisance, i have seen one for 17 bucks it was labelled a nissan part

do you have spark? the coil and the fuel pump work from a signal from the distributor.

plug the green test clips under the dash together, and the fuel pump will cycle on and off,

the coolant temp sensor for the ecu is a common nuisance, i have seen one for 17 bucks it was labelled a nissan part

Yes, it has spark. It runs if I pour gas down the intake. I hotwired my pump and verified fuel pressure is avail. at the injectors. They just don't pulse.

I'll test the coolant temp sensor tomorrow.

Thanks

-RE-