Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

XT won't crank.....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Roundeye

Roundeye

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:25 PM

Hey all, I finally found this place again. I have an 88DL, 89GL and just aquired an 85 XTGL with MPFI EA82. It has been sitting for about 8 years and did not run when it was parked.

I started troubleshooting it today and found it to have a fuel delivery problem. I can pour a little gas down it's throat and it runs great till it's gone. I had no fuel at the filter and traced the problem to the pump not running. No voltage is present at the pump. I hotwired the pump and it STILL did not work:banghead: So, I replaced the pump and hot wired IT.....now I have fuel flow at the injectors, but it still does not run. I say the injectors are not pulsing. Looking at the POS wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual, the dropping resistor for the injectors and power to the fuel pump relay come from the MPFI control box.

Agree? Also, where is the fuel pump relay and dropping resistor on a 1985 XT?

Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
-RE-

#2 garner

garner

Brat Master Flash

• Members
  • 689 posts
  • Vilas, NC

Posted 28 May 2004 - 06:02 PM

roundeye,

welcome, or welcome back.

just to let you know, i'm in the same boat :banghead:

I don't know what to tell you but I'm at the same wall. Fuel to the injectors but it seems they don't squirt.

sorry for the lack of advice but you're not alone on this one.

garner

#3 Roundeye

Roundeye

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:30 PM

I have 2 SPFI cars that work great and parted out another tornado-ravaged SPFI car and they all run good. I drove a carbed Subie for years and it too ran perfect. I'm not too impressed with the MPFI $#!T right now. Someone PLEASE change my mind!

Maybe someone can help us?

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,489 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:34 PM

do you have spark? the coil and the fuel pump work from a signal from the distributor.

plug the green test clips under the dash together, and the fuel pump will cycle on and off,

the coolant temp sensor for the ecu is a common nuisance, i have seen one for 17 bucks it was labelled a nissan part

#5 Roundeye

Roundeye

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:42 PM

do you have spark? the coil and the fuel pump work from a signal from the distributor.

plug the green test clips under the dash together, and the fuel pump will cycle on and off,

the coolant temp sensor for the ecu is a common nuisance, i have seen one for 17 bucks it was labelled a nissan part

Yes, it has spark. It runs if I pour gas down the intake. I hotwired my pump and verified fuel pressure is avail. at the injectors. They just don't pulse.

I'll test the coolant temp sensor tomorrow.

Thanks
-RE-

#6 Roundeye

Roundeye

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 276 posts
  • LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:52 AM

I think I'll yank the engine and trans, throw the MPFI-related item in the trunk and junk it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users