Ultimate Subaru Message Board

That's just exhaust heat shields, they're thin and prone to rust and falling apart over time.  Very, very common on many vehicles.

Eventually they'll start rattling/vibrating.  Tack weld back in plate, wrap hose clamps around them and tigthen, rip them off or replace$$$$$.

General Disorder suggests removing them may not be beneficial for the problematic P0420 codes, so if you have a 1995+ you might not want to remove them.

Other than that it's perfectly fine to remove them and throw them away, changes nothing.

• Like 1

Also a slow oil drip coming from here. It's coming from the raised side (drivers), the opposite of the drain plug. I checked the oil level and it seems high. Last change got done at the AAA, they had a good deal going on...Possibly to much oil got put in?

I'm going to do an oil change this week myself.

post-58763-0-69652500-1442841136_thumb.jpg

After you do that oil change go to a coin car wash and hose down the underside of that engine really good.  There's enough oil that in the picture you can't tell where it's coming from.

Common leaks:

Valve Cover Gaskets

Spark Plug Grommets (under the valve cover)

camshaft seals (front much more common than rear)

Front Crank Seal/Oil Pump (if you do the front crank seal you need to pull the oil pump and tighten up the backing plate screws and reseal it.)

Separator Plate in the rear of the engine 

The rear main can leak as it is a seal around a rotating part, but it tends to take abuse or very high mileage before it does.

Common leaks:

Valve Cover Gaskets

Spark Plug Grommets (under the valve cover)

camshaft seals (front much more common than rear)

Front Crank Seal/Oil Pump (if you do the front crank seal you need to pull the oil pump and tighten up the backing plate screws and reseal it.)

Separator Plate in the rear of the engine

The rear main can leak as it is a seal around a rotating part, but it tends to take abuse or very high mileage before it does.

Ugh, those all sound like some big jobs

Valve cover gaskets are tight, but easy to do.  The front seals (camshaft/crankshaft) require pulling the timing belt.  The rear main and separator plate require pulling the engine.

Another thing to check would be the crankcase hoses that run off the valve covers for cracks.  You might also replace your PCV as it could be causing pressure build up and subsequently causing seals to leak.

1.  Replace your PCV valve.  unlikely the cause - but they're so cheap and easy it's worth doing it in case excess pressure is pushing oil out more than necessary.

2.   If you're using really thin oil - using thicker oil might assuage the leaks a little too.

we need "higher up" pictures - nearly all oil leaks end up where you're taking that picture.  they start upwards at various places and then all drip DOWN and are blown BACK - so many oil leaks have that same end result.

what vehicle/model/year so we know what engine it is exactly.  he already covered it but:

valve cover gaskets are most common

cam seals

crank seal

rear separator

if it's a 97+ engine they are inteference and all the timing components should be replaced or else failure will result in bent valves.

while replacing the belt, replace the cam seals, crank seal, and reseal the oil pump.

Gates kits on Amazon include the belt, pulleys, and tensioner.

Unless you are noticing a lot of oil consumption, it's very common for these motors to leak a bit of oil as they get into their golden years. My old impreza with 270,000 miles would leak out about a quart between 3000 mile oil changes. I just started adding about 1/3 quart every 1000 miles to maintain the levels and it was fine.

A silver lining is that a motor with an oil leak is some of the best rust preventative in existence.

It's a 95 legacy ej22.

I replaced the pcv valve two weeks ago along with the parts you sent me. I did notice a bit of fresh looking oil in and around the bottom of the hose going into the block from the y connector the pcv connects into. All the air hoses are new as well.

I believe I am about 30,000 miles since last timing job, though that was before I had the car

Valve gaskets were done about 4-5 years ago. I have quite a bit of handwritten records that are a bit hard to read.

I will keep an eye on the oil level, for now it is up above the full line

I will get the engine cleaned up a bit and get some more pictures in the next couple days.

What does everybody think about a engine oil stop leak like the one made by Lucas oil. It was reccomended to me before by a mechanic. That being said he got fired for some reason and that shop never did get my subaru running after taking it there 4 times.

After you do that oil change go to a coin car wash and hose down the underside of that engine really good. There's enough oil that in the picture you can't tell where it's coming from.

Any suggestions on getting the oil off the underside? Jack up the front and then spray is the only thing I can think of.

Some simple green on there too?