Ultimate Subaru Message Board

vibrating after head gasket fix

Back in the day, I proudly owned a 87 4wd 3door and an 80's model justy. That being said, I have dealt with a great deal of different "car problems", (even though it still feels like I know nearly nothing) and since can fairly troubleshoot common problems. BUT last year, I got my hands on a manual 2wd 87 3door in AMAZING condition for 600$. Granted it needed a battery, tune up, new radiator and a modified exhaust, but I basked in its glow as it was completely stock with the exception of a paint job....meaning a VERY small amount of rust and only 50,000 miles on it(original motor). And of course it was bought brand new in 87 by an older gentleman and had routine oil changes. I know this since the glove box contained the manual and pamphlets from its "birth". I honestly never thought I would find another 3door again, ESPECIALLY in this condition. APPARENTLY since I have gotten this car, I have become so overprotective and paranoid that a lot of my previous knowledge about subi's has flown out the window. I also have very little knowledge on the engines. I used to lack the tools needed to fix engine problems and always had someone else(not my current mechanic) do it.

Getting to the point, I blew an inch out of my head gasket a few months back and, like always I was rescued by my mechanic. This guy is very good at fixing cars (like rebuilding the rear axle in my Isuzu rodeo) and always gives me amazing deals and often fixes things I didn't know needed fixing for free. However, after pulling my EA82 apart, he saw a crack in one of the heads, (the other is flawless btw). Sooo of course he said i needed a new head because it was bad and was the cause for the blown head gasket. A month filled with numerous junkyard searching for these heads failed to provide us with an "uncracked" head. I even traded my engine-less 4wd 3door for a pair of resurfaced heads. FINALLY  I learned the truth behind these heads. My mechanic was dumbfounded and frustrated with the only Subaru he has ever worked on. After buying a complete gasket set for a EA82 turbo and oil pump gaskets I got the comment, "Its been more than a month. Hopefully I can remember how to but the engine back together." OOOH MAN . A few days later, I got my wonderful car back but I've had some issues with it since then.

NOW these are my concerns...

I feel vibrating from the front of the car that comes on with high speeds. I got the tires checked (bought brand new December 2014) and apparently the wheel bearings are fine and they barely needed to be rebalanced. Nothing was "wrong" with the tires themselves. ugh

Car idles under 1 grand and takes a few time to start it (where it keeps running) and even more times when it is cold out.

Leaks oil (vague description)  and I can smell gas fumes from the engine bay.

It has less power, especially when I have passengers. I feel like it runs rougher than before.

Even after I replaced my front rotors and brake pads and shoes, the "adjustments" he made to my rear brakes now have them clunking when I use them. I even had to slam on my brakes on the highway when someone pulled out in front of me and my car almost lost control. Alignment is great and my car doesn't pull to any side when I normally brake.  

This is a lot to complain about and I'm sure I probably missed something. Pleeeease someone help me! I love my Subi!

Edited by Rocketdog

Oof. What a laundry list. Man, this is a cluster though. So many variables.

The running conditions, had the car been tuned up? Check your spark plugs to see if it's running rich. They'll be black and sooty. Do a compression test on the cylinders to rule out anything wrong with the head gaskets.

The brakes, ... Sounds like a spring is broken. Are they rear drums or discs?

Engine timing could be off.

Make sure there are no vac leaks and all lines are connected.

Actually I had the heads pressure tested and they tested good. All of the spark plugs are good still. There is no lifter tick or bad oil pressure.  I'll have to check the vacuum lines, but my rear brakes are drums. So they are fun to take apart :P I was considering the motor mounts, but I could use some pictures to compare.

Edited by Rocketdog