Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Excessive wheel bearing play?!?

Lift wheel off the ground then grab it with both hands at 9 and 3 o'clock. Try moving it. Try again at 12 and 6 o'clock. Any movement and it's bad. If you end up replacing it, go with oem as you'll most likely get another 160k+. Safe bet would be to do both rear wheel bearings at the same time. Typically when one wheel bearing goes bad, it's counterpart isn't far behind. Grinding could actually be brakes though. If the bearing is grinding, there should be a little movement, whether in/out, or side to side.

Edited by Bushwick

OK, the video shows him holding the hub and bearing out of the knuckle and shifting it back and forth.

so, I have no experience with that type assembly.

maybe someone else does. The HBA I installed in an Impala would only rotate - not shift like the video nor wobble.

sry

Exactly my question!

Is it supposed to slide back and forth as in the video?

There should be no play in the bearings on these cars.

If you have the assembly out and can feel any roughness when you spin the bearing by hand, the bearing is bad.

The ball type bearings may have some movement when the axle nut is not installed. But the bearing should still spin smoothly.

• Like 1