Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new '83 turbo wagon!

No, I don't have pics... $200 for the car. $50 to have it delivered from the JY to my friend's house.

So here's the story... engine has some HG issues, used to run real well from what the guy said to the owner of the auto salvage.

The rear end suspension is basically shot, the AT 4wd tranny has huge tears into the bottom (you can see gears!) and the body is PRETTY straight. Another good thing is that it's the same silver color of my old hatch, so it's like old, in new, but in older... or something.

Anyhow, plans are thus far: Engine will be going to caboobaroo for his '79 EA81TT lowered two door wagon. I will replace the ECU and engine with an EA82T and ECU from an '85 RX, replace the tranny with a 4 speed d/r EA81, put in a rear EA82 wagon suspension (raises it a little) and convert the rotors over to 4x100. This is an overall plan, and it should take around 6 months on my budget to complete.

Engine:

EA82T block, maybe an RHB5 turbo (if I can find something better I'll use it), EA82 carb pistons (8.7:1 instead of 7.7:1), find some Gen 3 or Gen 2 heads, a spider intake if possible, cams, exhaust, and polish and port. (russ is paying me for the engine and parts with p&p ing the heads) intercooler and oil cooler. hood scoop if possible, but mostlikely a FMIC.

Body: stock

Paint: stock

Suspension: EA81 front, EA82 rear, rear disc conversion.

Stereo: Probably none.

heck yeah dude

now the debate: are you going to wait until after you get the 1600 running before you try to do the conversion?

I think if you can get a rebuild kit (seals and gaskets) you should rebuild the engine, and go for the conversion right now. you can do the twin turbo mod later.

Who cares about you? I'll have me an EA81 wagon, and I like the EA81 wagon body style!

Also, forgot to mention: I'm going to do a RWD conversion. I'll keep spare good front axles for those days when I want to go four wheelin. 30 minutes out of my day to convert it back to 4wd and I'm good.

anybody's opinions? anybody out there gonna scream because I'm not going to rebuild the engine and keep it stock? it's not like I'm making it carbed instead of trying to spend the little time it would take to adjust the timing and minor tuning issues.

later all