Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil leak somewhere "Near" the oil filter

2005 Baja Sport. I changed the valve cover gaskets and spark plug seals in May 2015. Oil was Slowly dripping from the oil filter. No oil stains, it drips on the exhaust and burns off. Strong smell when I'm at a traffic light (idling). New gaskets look good. Filter was tight; changed the oil and filter,  just to make sure. The plate where the filter gasket meets is not damaged. It's Still leaking! Anybody have a similar experience?!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi All,

I realize this is somewhat of an old post, but I'm just about to replace the O rings for the oil cooler on my 2005 Subaru Baja Turbo. Does anyone have the procedure, and the torque specs for all the bolts? I'm planning on replacing all the O rings, and it looks like there are four all together.

Thanks....Jeff  

this:

There should only be one, large O-ring between the oil cooler and the block.... Red, retail is about $7....

it's the orange on on this cooler, pictured here:

https://www.amazon.com/Subaru-21311AA051-Oil-Cooler/dp/B00IGZPVDC

don't really need torque spec's if you're comfortable around Subaru wrenching, though i understand the desire. 

i'd get a FSM - even an EJ25 FSM, they're free all over the place and will cover most of the same common parts - timing bolts, covers, oil cooler, etc. 

What oil filter are you using? Aftermarket oil filters are notorious for leaking on these for some reason. So much so that valvoline created a Subaru specific filter exactly for that purpose.

If there's no oil above the filter itself, that's the first thing I would suspect. Use either the valvoline or a Subaru filter if that's where the leak is coming from. I don't know why they leak, but I know for a fact that they do. Maybe the gaskets can't hold up to the heat? Your guess is as good as mine.

Oil cooler post is 24mm deep socket.   Crack smokers, be nice to not need one size for one part - should have just made it 22mm like the crank bolt.

Makes you wonder if the engineer was just too lazy to change the defaults in whatever CAD software they were using, or, I suppose, more likely the engineer was following the SAE/ISO rule book without thinking about working on the vehicle in practice.  The best engineers are the ones that have actually had to work with their hands

Probably because the post size required for sufficient flow wouldn't fit a 22 mm bolt. Maybe? Don't know. I'm not an engineer for sure. I do know this though, next time I have to remove a supercharger and manifold and all of the air and coolant plumbing just to change a knock sensor, or have to spend 6 hours trying to change an O2 sensor, I may put an ad on Craigslist to find a random engineer so I can beat him to a bloody pulp and get my frustration out.